Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Vinson 500 Manual/Rubicon/King Quad?????

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 08:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vinson 500 Manual/Rubicon/King Quad?????

Thanks again for the input.

I am leaning toward the King Quad. I looked at your pictures PD and that is a nice KQ that you have. It makes me want to go with the camo, but that is about $200.00 more. The prices I showed were before taxes. So they would be about $400.00 more with Oklahoma tax.

Any issues with the KQ. I have found out that there seems to be alot of different opinions on brands. I have never owned a suzuki. How is their reliability? I have read messages on frame probs, belts probs, etc. I know that is a dumb question to ask on the suzuki forum, but I will ask it anyway. I have owned 2 polaris quads and I thought both were VERY reliable. But if you ask about polaris reliability on the forum you get alot of mixed messages.

Old 01-20-2007, 02:18 AM
PD
Trailblazer

Vipertech,
Well again I think any question about reliability on any forum will raise eyebrows and start a debate. Brand loyalty can be pretty strong. I honestly went with Suzuki as I have numerous sport bikes and dirt bikes and all have been stellar. So I stuck with them in regards to ATV's. So far both have been as I had hoped. Very reliable. I think you can search many forums and problems with all of them, somebody is bound to speak up if they are unhappy.

Another reason I purchased Suzuki is people are quick to come up with aftermarket add ons compared to others and quite frankly I like Suzuki's styling. You will also really like the accessory light in the handle bar pod.

I am not trying to sell you, I am just stating what I like about the KQ and what drove me to purchase it.

Old 01-20-2007, 06:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well I went and looked at them today. I did not test drive as it is snowing/raining and a big muddy mess here is oklahoma. I really like the Vinson and the KQ. They look very well put together and are very close in size. It seems like the KQ is a little larger, but not much. It seems to me that the Vinson has a little larger back rack. If the Vinson had a locking diff. then I would definately go with it. That is the only advantage I see that the KQ has (outside of the big bore power, but how fast do you want to go on a utility?).

So I will contemplate until I can test drive one. I am not sure even if I want the auto, or the manual if I get the Vinson.

I also looked at Sportsman's and they look like a pretty slick ride. They definately have better tires than the suzuki, but that is an easy fix. Outside of the tires I did not see what would warrant a SP 500 to be around the same price as the KQ 700???? Seems like the Vinson is he best deal money wise. I can get into one of them for 5399 in green manual.

I really like the camo versions, but how well does the camo hold up?

Old 01-20-2007, 07:52 PM
Range Rover

I own two Vinsons, two KingQuad 700s and have owned a Rubicon so I think I can give an opinion. My Rubicon was the old style. I loved the transmission on it. It rode really stiff and the seat was as hard a rock! The steering was very sweet and the engine breaking was first class. It was very Utility leaning on the sport/utility part. The Vinsons are great fun and very sporty. They have been pretty reliable as well. Tons of fun on the fun meter where the Rubicon was solid but lower on the fun meter. The KingQuads are a real hoot! They are also on the sport side of Sport/Utility. I can still flip the rear end around in power slides like the Vinsons. I could not do this very well on other IRS machines I test drove. The power is great and I am completely happy with the KQ. My opinion is to go with the KQ 700 if funds allow it.

Old 01-21-2007, 04:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey there from the land down under. I have had a suzuki LTF500 2001 since new and it is bullet proof. I have entered it into two Kamfari (a 4hr plus enduro race) against brand new grizzlys and 750cc brute forces and i ended up comming in 5th overall. Its is a manual and has 26inch swamp foxes and it goes every where the bigger bikes do with out the hassles of splipping belts. I am also in the market for a new quad and have test drove the the 700 grizz and was not impressed at all, it has plenty of power but that is about it, its top heavy and on my short ride it looked like it was ready to start over heating i also had to have it in low range as the bike has after market tires when i was going through some water. My freinds have the new 500cc man vinson and i have just got home from a day out riding on it and you couldnt wipe the smile of my face, it has plebty of power and top end. And its a better and fun bike to ride with the fixed axle. So i have def mad up my mind and will be putting a deposit down on a manual 500cc vinson tommorow.

700cc grizz Aud$14000
500cc Vinson Aud$10400
Just anothe reason to go with the vinson

Old 01-21-2007, 01:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all of the input. It is a big decision when you shell out that kind of money.

I was reading on another forum that this was the last year for the Vinson and the Eiger. Is this true or just speculation? It wold be a shame if it is.

Is the Vinson engine more powerful than the KQ 450?

Do you think Suzuki will come out with a KQ 600 or something to replace the Vinson, or is the KQ 450 the replacement for both the vinson and the eiger?

Old 01-21-2007, 01:48 PM
PD
Trailblazer

Vipertech,
I had heard similiar discussion. Quite honestly it make complete sense. IRS does make for a better off road ride, Not as sporty but the utility ATV I believe was not designed for "Sporty" activities. People still use them as such. I think Suzuki would be smart to have a KQ 450, 600 and 700ish(750???). EFI is the best feature IMHO. Although I totally love my Eiger it took nearly a year messing around with it to find a happy medium for riding in altitude and then bring it down to run good at sea level. I have feeling EFI will evolve in leaps and bounds over next 3-5 years. The one thing I am not fond of is all the "Other" stuff they are adding. I think power Steering (albeit makes it easier to ride) is just another thing to break off road. These are becoming very high tech machines now. I think the KQ, Grizzly and a couple of others are getting close to the edge where you will find when you trek offroad for miles you are going to have to bring alot of spare parts.

The KQ is as far as I will go.

Old 01-21-2007, 03:37 PM
Pro Rider

I've got a King Quad. I love it. But FYI I use mine as much for work as sport. Have a 2" hitch sleeve installed for a 3pt hitch system that I use for root rake, discs, one row plow, blade, airater and subsoiler. This machine with the right tires has a lot of muscle when you need it. I have had mine, like other poeple have, up to 72mph, on asphalt, and it was very comfortable, but that was just to say that I did it. It has even pulled a 5x10 trailer made to look like Santas sleigh with about 12 Brownies and two big moms, covered in Christmas lights run by 1500 watt inverter in our local Christmas parade, and won best float out of 14 others. It has done every thing I have asked it to. The KQ is very nimble in tight spots for its size and it loves the Hatfield McCoy trails in West
Va. I don't think I went wrong, but everyone has an opinion.