Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

400EX vs. Z400

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 04:06 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400EX vs. Z400

Mr. Minnesota; I've ridden many a sport quad and I do have to say that a well hopped up Z-400 is one of the best quads I've ever riden in sand.. Plenty of power, easy to toss in the air, natural feel good ergo's.. Not the fastest when racing comp hill(s) but a damn good ride....I've ridden them all (except the Hon 450R) .. Good bike; it'll run for ever...

Old 03-01-2007, 11:04 AM
Pro Rider
Default 400EX vs. Z400

EZ on the Mr...... Butcher will do fine[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

& ya I also like mine in the sand, went to Glamis last april & that was a blast..

But like ya said, racing comp hill(s) is abit of a test.. Old's Hill was the worst of them all imo.

I can say out of the group of 3 450s & 2 400s I was never last & a few times 3rd [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] (I say 2nd 1 time but thats still in debate)

Even got to watch a few not make it to the top [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] now that could hav been rider or quad or a combo of both..

But my buddy(who just go a 05 400ex brand new & is kind of new to the sport) sure likes to ride my Z when we go trail ridin.

when I sit on that thing it feels like a kiddie quad to me [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 03-01-2007, 11:22 AM
Pro Rider
Default 400EX vs. Z400

Originally posted by: 3ismorethan4*** Message edited by ATV Connection Forum Moderator***
HAHAHA pull yourself out of your moms basement & get some sun...

were talkin quads here not top fule, but most drag cars do....

go buy a 400ex and bring it to the dunes & see how much fun it is to ride without liquid cooling.

& dont forget the DINOSAUR & both pink slips....

O & thx for the spell check. I hav some more things for you to look over I'll send them in a pm[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 03-01-2007, 12:41 PM
Trailblazer
Default 400EX vs. Z400

I would not waste my money on either bike,[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] but water cooling is not the reason
for the extra 5 horse power that the z has[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]. With basic tuning and proper jetting you
can increase horse power on any engine, what I'm getting at is for all of the extra parts
the z isn't that much better[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img], thats it bud and don't talk trash about the dinosaur I
doubt you could hang in a drag , lets see some time slips 300ft... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-02-2007, 02:42 AM
Quad Patrol
Default 400EX vs. Z400

Gentleman, I spent to much time cleaning this thread up[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] If you can not post without using profanity and name calling, then I recommend you don't post at all.

Dan-ATV Connection Forum Moderator

Old 03-04-2007, 11:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 400EX vs. Z400

I was in your postion to a point, except the 400ex was never really an option just because its a dated version of the Z,
Im not trying to say its a bad bike by any means though.
My choices where between the 450s, the pred, the z 400, and the raptor. we couldnt Decide on just one, so we settled on 2 lol. Our picks were the z400 and the pred. Personally i like the pred, it has more power and better handling (for me anyway) better shocks. Im not biased by any means, cause i do own both, thats just my preference.
The reason we didnt go with the 450s was because there all Too wide with no reverse, the pred is just as wide as the YFZ and i cant recall how wide the honda is but its within that range. The pred is almost too wide for really tight trails and the Suzuki 450 is even Wider, but the pred has reverse where the others dont. I also picked it up new for $5,000 OTD being an 06' TLD leftover, and i couldnt come near that with any of the other quads, not to mention it seemed to have more to offer than the 450s for what i wanted

I Also picked up the Z but it was 6k OTD, its a very nice quad for the money, doesnt seem to have to offer what the Pred does, and its more money but it definetly has its pluses
Its alot lighter than the pred, and narrower by an inch and a half, and its just easier to manuver in trails, it jumps very nicely, doesnt seem to soak up bumps and landings like the pred, but it does a very good job, and its a good bit more comfortable than the pred, which to me isnt a neccessity, but still nice to have

I've taken the pred to a track, and ive yet to take the Z since we have not had it until after we went, but i plan on taking it very soon. I seemed to do pretty well with it being my first time on a track, and learning the pred at the same time, i was keeping up with 450s after just a couple laps, dont get me wrong im not great or anything, i just dont think they were that good, im sure someone with a little more seat time would have put me in my place, never the less i was very pleased. It jumped very well, i knew i had a little more weight than should be there, but the Fox podiums did there job well. Also the breaks were just awesome, ample stopping power, they seem to be better, and have more feel to them than the Z which i think in part is due to Stainless steel break lines

All in all im very please with both the 06' TLD pred and 06' Z400, and im sure you would be with either

Old 03-22-2007, 09:07 AM
Range Rover
Default 400EX vs. Z400

MR butcher, i dont recall saying i liked riding your quad. ( it couldnt climb the hills at tri county as good ) second, mines a 04. and third , its now hondabusters quad!!!! 4th- i dont know if we are buddies anymore, you dont call me anymore[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
5th, what are you doing on the forums at 6:30 in the morning[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] 6th- mike is looking for you

Old 03-22-2007, 02:33 PM
Pro Rider
Default 400EX vs. Z400

Originally posted by: bigsled
MR butcher, i dont recall saying i liked riding your quad. ( it couldnt climb the hills at tri county as good ) second, mines a 04. and third , its now hondabusters quad!!!! 4th- i dont know if we are buddies anymore, you dont call me anymore[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
5th, what are you doing on the forums at 6:30 in the morning[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] 6th- mike is looking for you
MR Big (hahahaha)

1st off I was not talkin about u[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] the 05 400 should hav givin that away...
2nd I know this...
3rd[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
4th were not[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] when I call your wife says you cant come out & play[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
5th I like to hit the forums early after a good night of partying [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
6th for what???? to plan the nex trip to tri county or clark??? O boy [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]
7th MR Big Please tell the fine folks here why you got rid of your EX in just 6 months..
was it a lack of power?? seat height abit to low?? not runnin well when its hot out??? no reverse?? or did the wife just say it was time get rid of it????

Old 03-23-2007, 02:30 AM
Range Rover
Default 400EX vs. Z400

Is it possible you boys from Minnesota can make up ? I thought for sure the thread said 400ex vs Z-400...But I could be wrong...... Now I did just buy a 03 400ex (totally stock, got a great deal on it) for my youngest daughter. She's 13, and should grow into it fine (she says she wants to start working a clutch).... Selling her Apex 100MX Pro two stroke race bike... That aside I believe the Z is a much more refined quad (DA).....

Old 03-23-2007, 11:07 AM
Pro Rider
Default 400EX vs. Z400

Originally posted by: 1128633636
Is it possible you boys from Minnesota can make up ? I thought for sure the thread said 400ex vs Z-400...But I could be wrong...... Now I did just buy a 03 400ex (totally stock, got a great deal on it) for my youngest daughter. She's 13, and should grow into it fine (she says she wants to start working a clutch).... Selling her Apex 100MX Pro two stroke race bike... That aside I believe the Z is a much more refined quad (DA).....
Now thats a great ride for your daughter, she should get a few good years out of it...

As for makin up, we will sse as soon as the trails open up in a month[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: 400EX vs. Z400