Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Eiger/Vinson front diff limited slip mods

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 12:03 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eiger/Vinson front diff limited slip mods

Anyone had their front diff apart and really studied the limited slip clutch? I'm thinking that with shims/spacers, one could increase spring pressure and tighten up the slip some. Shouldn't affect steering too badly, but it would be a nice mod for people in really tough terrain.

hmmm.... I think I remember a web site that showed exploded views of Eiger stuff. Maybe that will help.

Old 03-03-2007, 01:10 AM
Trailblazer

AK,, I'll bet you will be the first one to try it,,and then let us all know how well it worked out. From time to time I do miss the "fully Locked" pull on my old KQ 300. Would be really cool if ARB would help us out with locker,,,Something air or mechanical,,,not electro whiz bang

Old 03-03-2007, 07:23 PM
Trailblazer

should be interesting. here's an exlosion;just paste it iin your address bar. http://www.mrcycles.com/fiche_sectio...2003&fveh=7215

Old 03-04-2007, 12:18 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah, I found that exploded view the other night. Just shows the ring gear/carrier assy, no internal parts of the limited slip apparatus. Doesn't show clutch packs or anything as a separate replaceable part, but it shows the ring of bolts that disassembles the unit. Guess I'll have to tear it down someday and check it out.

Old 03-04-2007, 08:29 AM
Range Rover

They already make a locker for the Vinson.

Highlifter Detroit Gearless Locker
part # LCKHLDET-2
price $335.00

Old 03-05-2007, 06:01 AM
Pro Rider

High Lifter makes one for the Eiger also the early years but not the current years. I did some research and it will fit some of the current years like mine but you have to check the part number on your front diff against the part number that they offer. I forget the website that I used for this but it also have very detailed exploded views of the front diff, I will look for it when I get home but it is posi. at all times that is why I didn't do it. Hope this helps a little.

Old 03-05-2007, 05:20 PM
Pro Rider

Try here...... http://www.alpha-sports.com/suzuki_atv_parts.htm

Old 03-05-2007, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider

Who were you referring locker info to? Lockers are fine for some people, but limited slip is for me. There are techniques to use to avoid needing a locker, and besides, I HATE having a locked front diff. I've ridden a Grizz and a KQ and rode with the front locked, and it sucked. I've had a Jeep that I welded the front diff, and it SUCKED to steer. I had to install power steering after that. Also, it destroyed my turning radius when the hubs were in. HUGE stresses on the T-case, too. AND, having CV joints in the front, if you're stuck, turned to the left or right very far, the diff is locked, and you are too heavy on the throttle in reverse, you're playing with fire. Think that situation doesn't happen very often? You're not riding hard enough. : )

If you know any serious 4x'ers that drive Toyotas, ask them about Birfield joints someday.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

so glad i found this forum,, i have been asking around and everyone on here just keeps telling me highlifter highlifter highlifter makes one lol well i know that but im not trying to spend 400 bucks... ill get off and push for that!!... we locked the front diff on a 03 honda rancher IN 03 for 30 bucks with just a few washers/shims and it still works great... and thats a full time 4wd.. i bet there's 5,000 miles on it since then im sure it would last FOREVER on a 2wd/4wd.. now yeah the rancher is hard to steer at all times. but so what if its hard to steer for a few moments getting out of a mud hole... i love getting stuck on my scrambler 500H0 4x4 then just pushing the button, flooring the gas and almost having the handlebars jerk out of my hands because both are spinning and grabbing throwing 4 rooster tails!
yall let me know when you figure out whether you can do that on the eiger or not... i dont have the time to take mine apart for nothing right now