Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Kingquad 700 battery issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 07:57 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by PBLsQuad450
Hey all, thanks for this! I purchased a 2007 KQ 450 but not pre-owned. Early in the thread someone asked if the 450 was effected or just the 700. I didn't see an answer. Does anyone know if the 450 has the same problem? When I got the quad it had an invoice about a replaced ignition switch for $0.00. When I asked what that was the dealer said it was a recall fix. Is that related? I couldn't tell from the string. Some folks mentioned the ignition and others did not. I plan on a battery tender no matter what but I'd like to really fix the issue if I have it. Thanks!

I have the 07 KQ 450 and I have had NO PROBLEMS at all. Yes they replaced my switch too - no explaination given (who cares?)

As to Kingding and your extra wire to reduce the voltage loss... I'm impressed!

If that is all that is required to fix this ongoing problem with the 700 KQ, GO FOR IT! and tell the world!!

But before we go too crazy, ... run it around for a while and see how it affects your battery and the entire ATV - I definately want to know how it works out!

Happy Trails!

Old 04-22-2010, 08:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

For now all I can say is it's starting faster than ever before and the lights seem nice and bright. If anything bad happens I'll let everyone know but I believe all is well and my dead battery problems are over.

Now I gotto go get me some mud on it and check for waterproofness. . . LOL

Old 04-23-2010, 05:43 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Kingding
For now all I can say is it's starting faster than ever before and the lights seem nice and bright. If anything bad happens I'll let everyone know but I believe all is well and my dead battery problems are over.

Now I gotto go get me some mud on it and check for waterproofness. . . LOL

Forgive me for being too negative but I have seen such things backfire before...

Faster starting and brighter lights are wonderful - right up until the starter burns out and the lights pop - all from too high a voltage.

I don't know if that will happen, but at the end of the season be sure to report back to us and let us know what the effect the extra voltage had on your ATV's electrical system.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

That's fine, I feel the same way and it's one of the reasons I made sure I can reverse what I have done without too much trouble.

Looking back though I don't believe the new ECM would have helped this problem. I constantly needed to charge or jump my battery to start it. It was usually after riding it with the lights on. Suzuki recommends riding a certain amount of time in order to charge the battery. We shouldn't need to! I like to take short rides past my property at night from time to time with the lights on and I don't want to burn a bunch of gas. I remember other machines I have had that never needed special treatment in order to start.

The papers with my new ATV battery recommends setting the plug-in type battery charger between 14.4 and 14.6 volts. I'm right in the middle of that now.

My Ford truck for instance has a 12 volt system and when running it puts out a steady 14.3 to its battery. I had it for 5 years with no problems with anything electrical.

Battery chargers have time limits and I do believe if you keep higher voltages on nonstop 24-7 it would eventually cook the battery but that is impossible with normal or even with long hours of riding.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

It also now seems that I don't need the battery tender/minder either: I haven't plugged it in since the modification. I had it out last night for a short ride and it fired up instantly this morning.

Maybe the laugh is on you Suzuki, all the money you shelled out for ECM swap outs (except for my case) when that wasn't the problem in the first place! I now honestly believe the mod has fixed this charging problem.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

Update: I've had a chance to ride a lot lately and everything is working fine. No bulb explosions or electrical trouble at all. In fact it never started as good as it does now- It use to crank for a while before it would start now I can hardly hear it turn over and it's running.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:39 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for checking back in Kingding. I'm sure I'm not the only one looking to you as a test pilot. Please keep us in the loop, really appreciate it man!

Old 08-03-2010, 09:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

No problems at all this summer and no adverse effects. I have not ever used the trickle charger and I get fast starts every time.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default king quad 700 2006 battery problems

Kingding I am new to forum and would love to know what you did, do i take it to the dealer for the ecu problem? any help is appriciated gone through three batterys and need to buy another????????????????

Old 08-24-2010, 01:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default my dealer fixed mine

I have an 06 that the battery died and killed twice. I was called by my dealer stating there is a recal on the cpu, it does not go to sleep and kills the batteries. I have a new cpu and battery for 2 years now, never a problem.

Quick Reply: Kingquad 700 battery issues