Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Bad battery?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 11:00 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad battery?

I'm having trouble w/ the electric start on my '05 eiger. I think it's the battery. When you go to start it , it might crank once maybe not at all. Mostly it buzzes from the starter relay box. I can start it by the pull cord no problem. After driving for a while, electric start works no problem. I have a battery recharger, but it still won't hold a charge for long. I just wanted to make sure it's the battery and not the starter relay. Anyone w/ this. As you can guess bike is 1 yr old and out of warranty.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:38 AM
Trailblazer
Default Bad battery?

I have an '03 Eiger, and the same thing happened to mine @ about 6 months old, just after warranty of course. I had to replace the battery, but have no problem since.

Old 09-17-2007, 03:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Bad battery?

I have same problem with my 05 eiger, charged the battery and still dies

Old 09-17-2007, 03:40 PM
Pro Rider
Has Been Around Here Quite Awhile!
Default Bad battery?

sounds like a dead cell in the battery. When they will take a charge but not hold it over night then it's time to go battery shopping.

Old 09-17-2007, 04:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bad battery?

Guy's it could be a short ciircuit or a dead battery , here's something you can check out try disconnecting the battery cable and with everthing turned off the switch or anything that can draw power , wait untill dark or try it in a garage or any dark spot and remove the + or - cable it doesn't matter just touch the cable you removed to the battery post and if it spark's you have a dead short that's drawing power when it's not suppose to ; it could be winch mount that is drawing the power i've read many post's about short's that turned out to be winch control related problem's with winch mount's short's ; quite a few of the warn winch's being recalled for control head's being submerged in water and some that wasn't even gotten as much riding in the rain ! You can run a search on warn winch problem's and get the info , it's not just warn brand's but other's as well something to do with wire color's ; but do the above test first it's worth a shot ! .......................

Old 09-17-2007, 04:09 PM
Pro Rider
Default Bad battery?

Buy a good battery to start with. then go from there

Old 09-17-2007, 04:24 PM
Pro Rider
Default Bad battery?

ctateusa1 it will be alot cheaper to do the test i posted above if the battery has any life at all in their old battery this test will work to tell if it's a short in a winch mount or any short ciruit somewhere else in the charging system , to rule this out will cost nothing and if it isn't the case at least it will be one less thing to check out before buying a new battery first ! ..................

Old 09-17-2007, 06:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Bad battery?

I have the same problem with my KingQuad. Any suggestions on a good battery to get?

Old 09-17-2007, 08:26 PM
Trailblazer
Default Bad battery?

it would be great if they made and optima battery for them like for automobiles. My king also seems to be harder to crank over after it sets for a few days also. try to pull start that thing (Whewww) they should have put a kick start on them lol.

Old 09-18-2007, 01:12 AM
Pro Rider
Default Bad battery?

kickervr91 you hit the nail on the head about putting a kick starter on your 07' KQ 700 Furthermore i think anything over 350 on any brand should come with a kick starter instead of a pull starter , even though i lost bout my leg's just below the knee's in an automobile accident on march /02/1975 while myself and a younger brother were trying to help a freind push his Dad's car ( It was a 1958 Chevy Impala 2 door hardtop that that had less the 800 mile's on it and worth over $75,000.00 his dad was a clasisic car Collecter and this was his baby ) out of the road after he had ran out of gas about 2 football field's distance from his driveway ; we had to wait on serveral car's to go around us and when we were less than 10 feet from the driveway and we had just pushed it to the other side of the road ! When our friend said there's one more car coming and as soon as it went around us ( we where pushing the car backward's ) i was on the passenger side my brother was on the driver's side and our friend was pushing and steering the car at the driver side door , so close yet so far it was in the teen's all day that Sunday and by 3 pm it was down to 8 degree's and i was out of breath and just leaning on the hood and fendertrying to catch my breath ; when our friend yelled for us to get out of the road the car wasn't slowing down and the driver wasn't looking at the road ( The young woman had barrowed her Dad's car to go to a store to call home to ask her husban if he and his friend had gotten their car fixed and she wanted to go home , when she called he told her that it was to cold that day they had stayed inside where it was warm watching a foot ball game ; and she was full of rage and speeding over the doing 75 in a 35 mph zone with her 8 year old sister and 8 month old baby in the car they weren't wearing seat belt's and no baby seat in the car and the baby got in the floor at her mom's feet ; she took her eye's off the road to get the baby back in her sister's lap ) When she looked at the road again it was too late for her to anything but try to swerve to try to miss us ! And when my friend yell get out of the road i only had time to jump up to move and everything went black , the next thing i knew i was laying ing the road in the most pain i've ever felt and i couldn't see my hand in front of my face ; i knew i was in the middle of the road and i kept trying to get up and out of the road so someone else wouldn't get ran over again ! But my friend Dennis kept telling me Larry don't try to get up you're hurt real bad , but i kept trying to get up and i couldn't get to my feet and i told Dennis that something was wrong and i told him i thought my leg's were broke and Dennis just kelp telling me to lay still and i was hurt bad ! I kelp trying to get up and out of the road i finally told Dennis to at least get me out of the road so i wouldn't get run over again so he pulled me out of the road , i stopped struggling to get up , Dennis was my very best friend ( I had met his big brother first his name was Larry also ,so to keep from driving his from going crazy wife ; she started calline little Larry and her husban Big Larry but we all called big Larry Sonny ! ) and he had alway's been a confirmed Atheist he didn't believe in God ; i remember when i first met him we would get in heated debate's about Religion he would say if there where a God why did he let bad thing's happen to little kid's and why God would made his next to the oldest brother Bobby be born with a servere retardation that he had to be placed in a State Instustion , he wasn't crazy he really like the role Dustin Hoffman played in Rain man ; but That Day on that little two lane blaxk top he told me Larry I Don't Know If There Is A God But Let's Pray ! And we did and God Answer our Prayer That day to make thing's fall into place that i would live ! The fist thing was only a few day's before this happened he had started a new job , and the first day on the job there were some RN's and some Doctor's and Paramedic's came to the job site and they taught the employee's how to perform CPR and tie turnakit's to keep someone from bleeding to death ; the second was the temperture was 8 degree's that slowed down the bleeding ! The third was this little hick town had just hired and trained Paramedic's got to me in record time with the knoledge of what to do with tranporting credical patenit's to the rifgt hospital ! And the fourth was the city where the Hospital was had just opened a new Highway with a fourlane Bridge that crossed over the only railroad crossing that very day that saved over two hour's to get to the Hospital before this bypass Bridge was opened ! And fifth we had a german doctor that was a the best Surgen in the united ststes , they had foutheen other Surgen's that weren't even suppose to be in town that they were sopposed to be in Atlandta at a seminar that was put it off for the next week at the last minute; and the Hospital had just opened a new Sergical wing to the Hospital that same day ! I rememberedbit's and peices of the of going in and out from the time the car hit me and in and out laying in the road and asking Dennis to get me out of the road ; in and out in the Ambulance ride to the Hospital ! And when they rolled me into the Emergency Room one of the Ambulance crew asking a nurse what she wanted him to do with this bag , and when he ask about the bag ; i sat up on the gurney and asked what bag ! And the nurse saying you mean he's awake after another nurse has to pop one of those capsule's to wake the nurse who passed out when i sit up on the gurney and said what bag , then the last thing i remember was hearing a nurse or doctor saying he's going into shock ! Then when i would wake up i would try to get out of the bed and an alarm would go off and some very big men would rush in and hold me down followed by a nurse with a needle an she would stick me and then i was out again ; This happened so many times i thought they were trying kill me ! When they finally let me wake up for an hour at a time i still didn't know my leg's were gone , the way they had me in traction and sheet was covered wit sheet ; it was when they let my Mom and dad come in at the same time that they told me my leg's gone and removed the sheet off to let me see what was left of my leg's and the reason for the taction was that both of my femure bone's in each had double compound fracture's where the broken bone break's through the flesh and skin ! I was in the ICU for 3 day's then a private room for the rest of the stay 2 and a half week's in traction and one week in a bodycast before they let me go home ! I had to rent a hospital bed in the bodycast for 11 month's then the day the cast came off they took me in the reabilitation ward and put me in a whirlpool bath , and that was the greatest feeling i had in over a year ; I got to sit in the tub with the warm soapy water for 1 hour and the current made my leg's and upper torso bob up and down it really felt great to get in a tub of the hotest water i could stand ! It was the first i was able to take a real tub bath in over a year , untill that day i could only have spooge bath's ; what a great feeling that was it was like getting out of prison ! It took another 2 week's before i could sit up straight , and another year before the doctor would let drive car again ; and i was a truck driver before i lost my leg's ! Sorry to make this reply so long i've forgotten what the post was about ; so let me get myself together and finish this reply ! Ok i remember now it was about dead batteries , just try the test about the short and see if ithelp's ; it may very well be the battery and if it is the last time i bought one for my 86' Honda and my old 93' Suzuki LT4WD i bought them at the local Auto Zone Auto Part's Store back in 2005 and i sold them to my brother and sister in law and the batteries are still starting the quad's with no problem;s to this day ; and they cost less than half than the local Honda and Suzuki Shop's charge ! If i had to replace the battery in my 2006 Arctic Cat 400 Automatic 4x4 ATV i would check with my Cat Dealer , and if it cost more than Auto Zone , Advance Auto Parts or O'Reillys Auto Parts Stores and get one from them they're just as good as the Dealer's Sell them for ; and i hope you find the fix for your quad's everybody and have a good night and a better day tomorrow ! ......................