Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

noises coming from left side of engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007 | 08:13 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default noises coming from left side of engine

Ihve noises coming from the left side of my engine on my '04 Z400 plus the sprocket is very wobbley. When I try to ride it, it feels like there's something stuck in the chain or the chain is going bad. The cain and sprockets are from RENTHAL and there are all 3 new. Any suggestions on what wrong?

Old 08-19-2007 | 11:03 PM
Trailblazer

This is pretty fundamental stuff if you have ever worked on your bicycle as a kid, and also being they they are all new, if you installed them yourself. If you installed them yourself and don't have any clues what might be wrong, you installed something wrong and better take it to a shop. And conversely if you paid to have someone put them all on, they are responsible and you should have them fix it, unless it was a friend who did it free, then you might want to go back to plan (a) and have a shop fix it.

Old 08-20-2007 | 01:51 AM
Pro Rider

Are the noises coming from the quad sitting still too? Like out of the engine in neutral? The front sprocket on my Z has some play in it too, Suzuki's set-up... those two little bolts instead of the big lock-nut like on other quads. I would prop the ***-end up, pop it in neutral and look for some bindage somewhere.

Old 08-20-2007 | 09:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

when you adjusted your chain for the new sprockets did you possibly not adjust it evenly?

Old 08-20-2007 | 10:44 AM
|
Trailblazer

The only things I've done to the Z is put ITP Holeshot XCR rear tires (1" wider than stock), changed the oil and anti-freeze 4 times since I've put about 100 miles or so on it and changed the chain and sprockets 1 time. The chain and sprockets came as a set (RENTHAL) from "rockymountainatvmc.com" The sprockets are stock size (14f-40r). My Z is the '04 model Limited edition with the 1 screw adjustment in the center on the rear of the axle housing. All I do is loosen the 4 nuts ontop of the rear axle housing, tighten the adjusting-nut then re-tighten the nuts ontop of the rear axle housing. I've got 'bout 50-75 miles on it after I installed the chain and sprocket set. Then 1 day at the 1st of this month I go to ride it and I hear the noise and feel the bumpiness. I thought it was the chain. I put the rear of the quad on a jack stand start it and put it in 1st gear to find nothing. I only hear and feel it when I'm on it. Besides the fact that the front sprocket is way loose. My friend used to race and work on his Honda 250 (tricked out) quad. I took it to him and he said he didn't know what was wrong with it w/o taking it apart. I'm really frustrated w/ it. I might just sell it. I only owe $ 300.00 on it from a buddy of mine. But I'd really like to keep it. It's been a terriffic quad.