Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

07' Vinson

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 06:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07' Vinson

Have made up my mind on a new purchase which will take place next Wensday the 3rd. After much deliberation I have leaned toward the Vinson. It has a reputed namesake that is hard to overlook for a spunky utility machine.

Is there something inherently in need of attention in regards to this machine? My 03' Grizz was one machine that needed money spent continually although a fine strong ride that always delivered in a pinch but...

The 03' Eiger was one reliable machine and after 10,000 plus miles is ready for the boneyard-did not like the seat though. My hip joints seemed like they behaved like some ole miner 49er' after a few miles-has to be the seat.

It will be the auto model, have the winch mount off the Eiger to put inplace in the Vinson and the Warn 2.5 off of the Grizz that can be installed as well. How are the bumpers on the Vinson. Should I expect to buy additonal bolt ons? Suppose the skid plate needs to be replaced with aluminum too.

Am buying this from afar like from a remote community in Alaska via Northern Power Sports in Fairbanks, Ak.-so it is not like just hopping on one and saying "yea" this is the machine.

Would appreciate any input.

regards,
CJ

Old 09-26-2007, 01:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 07' Vinson

With newer models like EFI's and better IS I can assume trouble shooting is from the "bench". I sure was leaning toward the King Quad 450 but.......field work ie, troubleshooting and "towing" is not my favored cup of tea.

Am looking into the Vinson, a reputed tried and true utility machine. Seen some here that have installed Detroit lockrs-amazed-aftermarket pipes and what have you and am curious of the gain.

One last question if they're was one anyways - do I get the shifter or auto? Couple o hundred bucks one way or the other is not a big deal. I have experienced the CVT drives on both my Grizz and Eiger and they worked well-but that option of the shifter is something else.

regards,
CJ

Old 09-26-2007, 02:02 PM
Pro Rider
Default 07' Vinson

As "nice" as IRS, fuel injection, and all those other luxuries are, One of the things that sold me on the Eiger was that it's simple and proven. I can take the carburetor apart in the field if I ever have to. Plus, the solid axle is better for sliding around corners and doesn't load the suspension when towing. A friend of mine bought a left over '05 Vinson a couple of months ago. I haven't had a chance to ride it, but he says it's been great with the exception of a petcock recall, which was covered under warranty so I'm sure that the new ones don't have this issue. As far as the auto or manual, I have always sworn by manuals in everything I've ever owned whether it's a bike or a truck, but I got the auto Eiger because my fiance felt more comfortable with it. I'm glad I did because it makes working with the quad so much easier and I ride a lot of terrain that switches back and forth from low speed to high speed, and the CVT always delivers great power on demand. Also, don't have to down-shift to go into reverse like the auto-clutch ATVs that I've ridden.

Old 09-26-2007, 02:34 PM
Range Rover
Default 07' Vinson

Go with the manual shift. Less parts to worry about, will outperform the auto, ability to ease down hills without relying on EBS. Shifting is fun. I would add a front bumper from Warn, Ricochet skids, and EPI wet clutch springs for the extra jump from go. As far as pipes, carb kits, and such I think the Vinson has plenty of power without them. Check my sig for pics.

Old 09-26-2007, 02:59 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Default 07' Vinson

I would think the snowmobile type tranny would have less parts to worry about? No wet clutch,less gear cogs? Take the cover off a CVT and its a primary and Secondary with a belt,what you see is what you get basically. I had the Yamaha Big Bear,450 Foreman and rode the new 500 Foreman many times and shifting quickly just feels like a unnecessary chore.

Old 09-26-2007, 03:12 PM
Pro Rider
Default 07' Vinson

I do like shifting my own gears, but on a machine that sees lots of work (towing, plowing, etc.) I definitely prefer the auto. And like TLC said, the only thing that will really go bad on a CVT is the belt. And if something happens you just pull the cover and everything is right there. With a manual, you have to pull the motor and split the case.

Old 09-26-2007, 04:13 PM
Range Rover
Default 07' Vinson

Do some research and you will find that people have a lot more issues with a auto tranny than manual. Belts do not like water, but you can snorkel it. To each their own I guess. As long as you have clean oil, you have clean clutches. With the belt people have told me about constant maintenance on the on the belt drive system. As far as internal parts/gears in the transmission there are close to the same number of parts between the two. The only advantage I can see is not having to shift gears. Good luck Jack with your decision and welcome to the forum.