Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Won't start after water in oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 01:53 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't start after water in oil

My 2005 z400 slid into a ditch with alot of water last weekend. The tailpipe was submerged but the airbox and fuel supply was spared. Water in the oil, pulled the header and muffler and washed them out. Changed the oil and filter and cranked fresh oil through the engine with the plug out. Sprayed Bombardier lube down cylinder and a little 2 cycle oil to lube piston while cranking. Put back together and tried to start . Good fuel to carb, Nice blue spark but dry plug. Pulled carb and removed bowl (spotless inside). The carb looked pristine with fuel in bowl. Sprayed out carb body and sprayed intake valves with Bombardier lube. The intake and back of the valves were a little bit muddy(dried) so I assumed that no fuel was being delivered from the carb. The machine ran for a only a few seconds while it was on its right side in the ditch and was towed home immediately and drained. The carb behind the throttle butterfly was very clean and the engine side wasn't really dirty either. Could I have a plugged main jet? I really don't understand how the black throttle slide moves up and down(vacuum?) but I sprayed and pushed it up and down a number of times while I had the carb off. My valves move while I crank the engine and although I didn't compression test the cylinder it seems adequate to at least get the thing running. Machine for sure has less than 1000 miles and probably less than 800. Good fuel to carb while cranking and airway and crancase vents unrestricted. Any Ideas?

Old 10-25-2007, 09:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

I believe after cleaning an already clean carb that I sustained engine damage to the piston and/or valve train. The suction at the airbox is erratic (huffs and puffs) and I can;t even get the engine to fire with starting fluid.Off to the fix it shop I go. (plug is still Dry!!)

Old 10-25-2007, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

i doubt there is any damage to the cylinder,piston,or valve train. i have buried mine up to the top of the fuel tank a couple times. motor had so much water in it that it wouldnt even crank over cause the water in the cylinder. clean and dry out the air filter,drain fuel and the add fuel, 9 oil changes,new plug and it was back to running. its gotta be something small. change the plug anyways ($4.00 part) ,even if you say it gets good spark. then if it dont want to start put some fuel in the cylinder or on the plug and see if it will run for a few seconds. if it does then your just not getting fuel to the plug and your engine is fine. make sure the air filter is out. that way you KNOW air is being forced in. i know you said you tried this but im just suggesting a new plug. if the plug is dry then your not getting fuel to it. also, didthe exhaust go under? if so stand it up on the *** end turn the choke on (if equipped) and try to start it. hope you get it figured out.