Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Twist Throttle or Thumb Throttle?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008 | 04:01 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Twist Throttle or Thumb Throttle?

Folks, I'm relatively new to the whole quad scence (I own a few street bikes and have owned Husky X-Country and Suzuki RM's in the past), so I'm still doing quite a bit of learning. The next "mod" that I'm considering for my quad (I already have WP suspension, extended A-Arms, etc...) is going to a twist-throttle. Anyone have any pros/cons with this mod? Anyone made the conversion and care to share their comments? Thanks!!

Old 01-04-2008 | 05:00 PM
Pro Rider

yeah- been there, done that and thinking of going there again. I too came from the bike scene and getting used to the thmb thing then got a twist but came to realize why thumb is so prevalent for ATV's getting tossed around and trying to hang on all the while, but I still prefer the twist. Needless to say- the cabgle broke and I'm back on the thumb for now..........

Old 01-04-2008 | 05:23 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: kwackermann

yeah- been there, done that and thinking of going there again. I too came from the bike scene and getting used to the thmb thing then got a twist but came to realize why thumb is so prevalent for ATV's getting tossed around and trying to hang on all the while, but I still prefer the twist. Needless to say- the cabgle broke and I'm back on the thumb for now..........</end quote></div>

Did you have any issues with the twist throttle when jumping, roosting, etc.? DId you use a push/pull throttle?

Old 01-04-2008 | 09:03 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Turning can cause problems. Bikes mostly lean for turning, and radical turning of the handlebars doesnt happen. But on a quad, the steering goes lock to lock , and trying to keep the twist steady, takes some concentration.
The whoops are different with a twist, its very hard to keep a steady throttle, but a thumb isnt an issue. The fingers can stay located , and not move around, and that keeps the thumb in place. Where a twist isnt fixed, and as your arm moves, the twist does too.
I had a twist throttle on mine...for one ride, and took it off and wont go back. Its too touchy, to turning inputs for me. I know alot of guys who like the twist, but I dont. Its something you should try, and if you dont like it, change it back, and dump the twist on ebay.

Old 01-04-2008 | 10:06 PM
2 strokes or 4

The first day I put mine on I was gonna sell it to a friend of mine but I gave myself a week to see if I could get used to it, now it's been about a month and it's o.k. Doing anything will make it want to surge at first but you should get used to it. But I have never had a dirtbike so it might be a little easier for you.

Old 01-04-2008 | 11:00 PM
Trailblazer

I've run 2 and 4whls for many years. I consider the thumb throttle much safer on the ATV. I agree, my ATV requires more handling and body movement to maneuver.

Old 01-05-2008 | 12:26 PM
Pro Rider

I have had one dirtbike in the past, it was a 99 cr250 and I obviously got used to/have only dealt with a twist throttle. I got my first sport quad August 07 and have a twist throttle on it. It fealt natural from the start for me to keep the twist and I have no issues with a twist. I rode my father-in-laws Grizzly 660 with a thumb throttle on some trails just prior to purchasing mine and it felt very awkward to me, I kept bumping it on the ruff sections of trails and almost hit a few trees.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 01-05-2008 | 03:01 PM
Trailblazer

I think it comes down to training and experience. I can remember a similar response on my first motorcycle twist throttle...but I don't think I would consider a thumb throttle on a motorcycle either.