Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Suzuki Ozark Quadrunner 250 starting problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 12:42 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suzuki Ozark Quadrunner 250 starting problem?

I have a 2002 Suzuki Ozark 250, i have just replaced the battery on it. I took it out for a nice long ride and all was well, when we went to ride the next day there was a issue with the "N" light not lighting up and the same with the "R" light. Every now and then the light would flickr. The big problem is that 95% of the time when i try to start it there isnt even a clicking sound...nothing! It wont turn over or anything.
We were thinking that is was a wiring or electrical problem, maybe something came loose or frayed. We cant seem to find out the problem.
If anyone can help out with this that would be awesome. Hopefully it isnt a pricy fix but we will see.
Thanks for any info you can give.
Brian

Old 01-30-2008, 06:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since nobody has posted, I'll take a stab at it. It is probably electrical. Most auto parts stores and places like Northern Tool or Harbor Freight Tools carry a simple test light for electrical circuits.

Buy one and test the neutral indicator switch circuit by grounding the light to the frame and using the tip of the light to probe the contacts in the socket the neutral switch plugs into. With the key on, one of the contacts in the socket should light the tester. If it lights, you have power to the indicator switch socket, which means the switch is bad and needs to be replaced.

If tester doesn't light, you have a short in the wiring somewhere, or linkage out adjustment, (if auto quad). If thats the case, remove the plastic body and trace out the circuit, or try adjusting the linkage.

I take it you can start the quad with the rope, just not the starter?.

Other places to look:

Starter-could be dying, burnt armature, bad bearings, have it tested. Check wiring to starter, you want clean and tight connections, no corrosion. Check the starter ground circuit as well as hot circuit.
Battery-same
Stator-could be wearing out, leading to low voltage output when you ride, quad draws down battery to run leading to no start condition. Test stator with voltmeter.

Hope this helps

Hefty

Old 01-30-2008, 07:14 PM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jedi98

I have a 2002 Suzuki Ozark 250, i have just replaced the battery on it. I took it out for a nice long ride and all was well, when we went to ride the next day there was a issue with the "N" light not lighting up and the same with the "R" light. Every now and then the light would flickr. The big problem is that 95% of the time when i try to start it there isnt even a clicking sound...nothing! It wont turn over or anything.

We were thinking that is was a wiring or electrical problem, maybe something came loose or frayed. We cant seem to find out the problem.

If anyone can help out with this that would be awesome. Hopefully it isnt a pricy fix but we will see.

Thanks for any info you can give. Check the fuses . I had a simular problem when my winch burned up and blew the fuses.

Brian</end quote></div>

Old 04-27-2014, 09:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

Check the stater relay fuses. Take off the left (shifter side) black plastic under the gas tank and the relay is just under the 250 sticker top right area by the seat under the edge of the yellow plastic - there are 2 big wires bolted to the side one one black. Our relay was getting wet and blowing fuses last year. Neutral light i think was lit though but wouldnt start. If the fuses are good take a pair of needle nose pliers and touch one tip to each terminal on the relay - if it cranks then your relay may be fubar. Or it could be a neutral safety switch... Needs a bit more digging at that point.

Check out mud brats tv on youtube to see our ozark in action!

Old 04-27-2014, 03:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Starter relay not stater...