Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Need help with carb in eiger

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 03:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with carb in eiger

I was stupid and neglected to stabilize my fuel prior to letting my 2005 Suzuki Eiger 400 4x4 sit for several mounths. It no longer runs (big suprise there). I have emptied the fuel tank, replaced it with fresh gas and carb/fuel system cleaner, cleaned the air filter and run the engine wide open hoping to clean the jets. It will not idle well and cuts out when you shift. I'm assuming I need to clean the jets in the carb. I haven't the slightest clue how to access the carb. I went to the dealership and they said they'd fix it (for a hefty price). I then attempted to purchase a clymer manual to show me how to access the carb. They can't find one. I have worked on many other engines and am confident that I can fix this on my own once I access the parts, however I have no clue how to access the carb. and I don't want to just dive in for fear of screwing something up. Can anyone help?

Old 02-03-2008, 04:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before you tear open the carb, buy some SeaFoam from WalMart or your local auto parts store. Mix it in the gas per directions, and run the quad for several hours. I bet that the SeaFoam will clean out the gunk just fine.

Park the quad outside, take a zip tie and a boot lace, put the zip tie around the thumb throttle and tie the boot lace to it. Start the quad, feed it gas till it runs, tie the boot lace to the front rack and let it run till it clears out.

If you have to tear down the quad carb, here's a good walkthru. It's for an Arctic Cat, but it's good info with pictures.

www.arcticchat.com , click 'Carb Rejet'.

And next time you store the quad, turn off the gas at the tank; and run the engine till it stops. That will keep you gunk free.

Regards,
Hefty

Old 02-03-2008, 04:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks I will try it asap.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:48 PM
Pro Rider

If you still have a problem with the idling you will have to take off the bottom bowl. right next to the main jet you will see a very small hole and if you look deep in it you will see a pilot jet. this is what regulates your idle. it will take a very small screw driver to get it out but they do plug and until you get it clean it will not idle. Also make sure the main jet is clear. It seems confusing but once you have one apart it is easy. I am assuming that it is a Mikuni, I know assumption makes a** out of people.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

And the survey says........... Extremely bad gas. Tried the sea foam, but it's kinda hard to run that through the system when 2/3 of the jets in the carb are completly blocked. After putting the sea foam in my gas tank, I tried to start it up, it wouldn't stay running. So I dismantled the cover, took out the tank and removed the carb. I also took apart the fuel pump that is on the bottom of the tank. The filters were fine, but there was a lot of corrosion on the tubes leading to the pump. I then took the float bowl cover off and found rust in there. Then I removed all three jets and they were glogged, two of which were completly blocked. So, I have managed to clear them most of they way with a can of carb cleaner, now I'm soaking them in the sea foam and plan to flush out the gas tank. I know leaving the gas untreated in the tank is bad, however I don't believe that just destabilized fuel would cause all of that corrosion. I must've had bad fuel in it to begin with. Thank you all for your assistance, I will rebuild tomorrow and try to fire her up. Hopefully that'll prove to be the problem.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:19 PM
Trailblazer

My Eiger dosen't have a fuel shutoff so I just run it once a month to keep everything working

Old 02-07-2008, 04:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Mine dosen't have one either, which I thought was wierd. But anyways, I reassembled my engine and it's working better now. It will start right up and idle. It still runs a little rough and backfires a little. I think I'm going to replace the spark plug. Also I have the air filter off, so I'm going to oil that and place it on the intake. I'm hoping this will solve the problems.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:54 AM
Pro Rider

For future reference:
http://myural.com/keihin_32cvk_disassembly.htm

Old 02-11-2008, 02:09 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Pgsmokeater

Mine dosen't have one either, which I thought was wierd. But anyways, I reassembled my engine and it's working better now. It will start right up and idle. It still runs a little rough and backfires a little. I think I'm going to replace the spark plug. Also I have the air filter off, so I'm going to oil that and place it on the intake. I'm hoping this will solve the problems.</end quote></div>

Have you tried adjusting the mixture screw , out a bit?

Old 02-11-2008, 04:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

certainly have not, i will try that as well