Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

z400 fuel & carb issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 01:53 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default z400 fuel & carb issues

After a wet, muddy ride, we had problems with quad running, then stalling. the air cleaner & box were pretty wet. dried that out. drained carb a few times thinking something in their. THEN, took it apart and cleaned everything. replaced main jet with a 144 (had a 124 in there).

Sooo, today it had a hard time maintaining vacuum to suck the fuel. the petcock on these has a "prime", "on" and "res" setting. the vacuum from running is supposed to suck fuel. It's not. tried bleeding air out of fuel line, blowing out the gas cap vent, but unless I leave it on prime, fuel doesn't flow. That's problem 1 of a few.

problem 2: won't idle. it races kinda high. moving handlebars side to side makes it a bit worse. i re-routed the throttle cable slightly so it wasn't crossing over the clutch cable. it looked a lot better. but it's not idling. ALSO, on the side of the carb throttle body where the throttle cable enters, there's 2 M4 (8mm) nuts. Maybe I need to adjust those better as I may have taken out the freeplay. I didn't move those 2 nuts that much.

#3, I can't make the idle adjustment **** do anything.

Somehow, i suspect one thing may be responsible. ahhh, but what is it? I'll look at the throttle cable/linkage again, but the fuel flow problem seems odd.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:37 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Sounds like the vacumn line to the gas valve is disconnected. That will cause it to only work in pri, and to idle high. It probably didnt get hooked back up, when you put the carb back on. If thats not it, check to see if its kinked or torn.
If the speed changes with handlebar motion, the throttle cable is routed wrong, or has no slack.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:28 PM
Pro Rider

there is one spigot on the carb that seems to have nothing attached to it (just above the fuel inlet spigot, left side). I thought this was for venting, and that nothing got put on it. I did reconnect the other lines to the carb. thanks for the reply. I'll double check to make sure the OTHER end of the vacuum line is connected.

I kinda figured the throttle line had to be catching up somewhere. Funny tho, I thought I had fed it so that nothing could interfere with it. I guess I'll route it UNDER the clutch cable line, like it was before.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:47 PM
Elite Pro Rider

You could try capping off that spigot, and see if the idle improves. If it does, then its a vacumn port, and should go to the gas tank valve.

Old 03-07-2008, 03:05 AM
Pro Rider

thanks HB. I never tried to plug it off, but I did notice the hose from the vacuum side of the petcock got kinked under the fuel tank. And yes, it did go to that open spigot. fuel flow solved.

on an unrelated coincidence, my re-routing of the throttle cable was fine. turned out that when I pulled the rubber boot off the throttle cable on the handlebar, the threads were all the way out on the adjustment and the cable was out of the sheathing. so now that high idle problem is solved.