Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

stumped by my 93 KQ 300 carb.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 08:17 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stumped by my 93 KQ 300 carb.

Victim: 1993 King Quad 300. Bought used for $400 and told it ran but would need the carb, gastank etc cleaned out.

I cleaned up the carb and everything looked good. Tossed it all back together and it will only run with a super high idle and will hickup out of the carb. It will also lean out so much that the exhaust mani goes red hot but I found the intake leak(gasket and o-ring are dead)

So I stole the bonestock carb off of my wife's 96 quadrunner 250 and tossed it in. It ran GREAT even with the intake leak. Revved up and everything fine.

I put both carbs on the bench, took them apart side by side, adjusted the bad carb to have the identical air fuel screw turns, same needle height and everything.

After putting it all back together I put my wife's carb back on her back which of course fired right up and idled perfectly. Put my carb back on and it was still doin the same thing. I have to keep my hand over the carbs intake to get it to start or pull the choke fully open to start it. If I try to rev it, the engine will die immediately. Sometimes it will rev and hickup/spit/sputter.

Anyone have a clue what's goin on in this carb?

I know the rest of the bike is fine but the carb is killing me.

Thanks,

Jason

Old 11-13-2008, 09:05 PM
Trailblazer

well me thinks it might be solved. I got it running today with the idle screw opened to 2 7/8 and the choke fully engaged. It idles okay but will still pop back out and exhaust is red hot. But...if I spray carb cleaner at the intake gasket the idle jumps up.

I think the carb is fine but my intake leak is MASSIVE. I ordered a ton of stuff from bike bandit last night so we'll see. I WILL update this thread when the engine idles like my wife's 250(which is perfect and starts perfect in any weather).

Old 11-13-2008, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider

your right, sounds like the intake leak is most of your problem, once you get that fixed it will probly run great, or atleast better. if you have more of the same trouble with it poping and overheating you may need to inrichen your pilot jet.

good luck!

Old 11-23-2008, 12:55 AM
Trailblazer

I WIN!. Well the gasket and o-ring came in today. After a quick install it would run but ONLY with the choke fully on and would die if you gave it gas or let off the choke. So I rebuilt the carb...again...even let it soak an hour. Installed it and...same thing! I was getting pissed.

Stole my wife's carb and installed that. Fired right up and ran perfect!!! Pulled my carb apart one more time and cleaned the pilot jet REAL good. I used small copper wire to get down in there. Installed it and adjusted the the idle/air screw to 2 5/8 like the book said. It idled better and i could give it some gas but it wasn't crisp. After readjusting the idle/air out a little more, moving the slide needle up to richen the whole mixture and adjusting the idle, it's PERFECT. Real crisp, rock solid idle and revs all the way through.

Now I can focus on all the other problems[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]