Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

'89 Quadsport Mods

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 11:49 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '89 Quadsport Mods

Hey Randy,

took a look like you suggested...didn't see any signs of a weld anywhere, so, appears I'm safe for now, lol!

Here's a couple off the wall questions for you while I'm thinking of them...

1 - what's the cost of a set of rear tires for you guys down in the states...I"m looking at anywhere from 3-400 bucks up here for a set of ITP's for the rear, depending on what series I want

2 - is there any harm in trailering my atv while it's stood up on it's rear wheels and grab bar with the front wheels up in the air? Assuming it's strapped very well?(We have 3 machines and a 10 foot trailer - space is tight!)

Old 02-25-2009, 12:03 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Quadsport_Scotty

Hey Randy,

took a look like you suggested...didn't see any signs of a weld anywhere, so, appears I'm safe for now, lol!

1 - what's the cost of a set of rear tires for you guys down in the states...I"m looking at anywhere from 3-400 bucks up here for a set of ITP's for the rear, depending on what series I want

2 - is there any harm in trailering my atv while it's stood up on it's rear wheels and grab bar with the front wheels up in the air? Assuming it's strapped very well?(We have 3 machines and a 10 foot trailer - space is tight!)</end quote></div>

1. Rear tires for me was about 110 I think for 2 Kenda Klaw XCs. I ordered them from Dennis Kirk.

2. I don't like to. I'm pretty sure you can though, you just have to have the gas off and everything. I'm not sure of the exact procedure though. We did it once w/ our Ozark, except it wasn't at more than a 60 degree angle and when we unloaded it, the airbox was filled with gas. :/

Old 02-25-2009, 12:18 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks...I have the Dennis Kirk catalog in front of me, should call them to see what shipping would be to Canada...might be worth while.

I have trailered by quad upright like that once already, but didn't know if was harmful or not. Made sure the gas was off, and that it was strapped well, and it made it in one piece, but I'm only 10 inches short of being able to put all 3 of our machines side by side, so I may just fab and extension for the trailer and play it safe.

What do you guys think about wheel spacers? Is there really a difference in handling and stability with the slightly wider stance, or should I just leave well enough alone?

...I hope you guys are patient, cause I have a million questions and ideas, lol

Old 02-25-2009, 12:26 PM
Pro Rider

Here's the shipping page on their site:

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/common/Shipping.jsp#4

Old 02-25-2009, 12:29 PM
Pro Rider

Here are the plastics from my handguards:

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/...913&leafCatId=&mmyId=

I think all the star series guards use the same mounts.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:33 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks...me thinks it's time to get the credit card out, lol

Old 02-25-2009, 12:47 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Hey Randy,

2 - is there any harm in trailering my atv while it's stood up on it's rear wheels and grab bar with the front wheels up in the air? Assuming it's strapped very well?(We have 3 machines and a 10 foot trailer - space is tight!)</end quote></div>

Slow down there, Scotty. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Let's talk a little before you fire up the credit card.

The lack of weld means you're at risk. It hasn't broken yet. Assuming, of course, the stem is the same stem as the 230.

1. Is that USD or Canadian? Tires here are about 50 bucks US. Each. Give or take a little. What kind of tire do you want? What kind of riding will you be doing? Do you like sliding or wheeliing more? Mudding?

2. it will leak oil out the pcv tube. Gas will come out of the carb too. May even get on the air filter. Other than that, yeah, its ok if you're ok with a few oil spots on the trailer. I stand mine up to load it on the pickup. Because of my +4 swingarm, it stands all by itself.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:56 PM
Trailblazer

ya, the price i told you was canadian dollars....i'm looking at anywhere from 150 - 200 per tire (canadian dollars)

I mainly trail ride, not much mudding, love pulling the fronts up in the air occasionally, and, as you might have guessed since I'm up here in Canada, occasional rips in the snow...suggestions?

Old 02-25-2009, 01:01 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Thanks...I have the Dennis Kirk catalog in front of me, should call them to see what shipping would be to Canada...might be worth while.

I have trailered by quad upright like that once already, but didn't know if was harmful or not. Made sure the gas was off, and that it was strapped well, and it made it in one piece, but I'm only 10 inches short of being able to put all 3 of our machines side by side, so I may just fab and extension for the trailer and play it safe.

What do you guys think about wheel spacers? Is there really a difference in handling and stability with the slightly wider stance, or should I just leave well enough alone?

...I hope you guys are patient, cause I have a million questions and ideas, lol</end quote></div>

Yeah, and the more answers you get, the more questions you'll have. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

You should check out 270quadsportguys' pics for an interesting idea of how to transport a quad. http://forums.atvconnection.com/Photos.cfm?ID=11710

Wheel spacers are fine for the back, but not on the front. On the front they cause bump steer and dramatically increase stress to the tierod ends, balljoints, wheel bearings, etc, etc. If you don't mind the stress issues and bump steer isn't a problem for you, then just drill a new hole in your front rims and insert a new valve stem so you can mount your rims backwards. Turn the old stem upside-down to clear the brake caliper. You'll get an extra 3 inches overall. That was one of the first mods I did, but I hated the bumpsteer.

Another option are the frame extenders that effectively moves your a-arms out more.

Another option is to cut n weld your existing arms. That's what I did.

I suppose you could also make your own arms or hire someone as well. But that seems difficult and pricey.

They say that you need to be longer than you are wide in order to track straight. So, if you go much wider, you may want to look into going longer as well. I modeled mine after the R450, which I consider to be the perfect geometry for the kind of riding I like.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:11 PM
Trailblazer

thanks for the info about spacers...may just forget about em. What would the benefit (if any) of a longer swingarm be?

oh, and abou the pic of "270"...that's SICK, lol

Quick Reply: '89 Quadsport Mods