Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

'89 Quadsport Mods

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 01:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '89 Quadsport Mods

I feel the Kenda Klaw XCs have done alright in the snow. As good as a 2x4 can be in the snow!

Old 02-25-2009, 01:22 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks. I'm feeling inspired to go out and do some more teardown on the beast since it's so nice out today (another day in the low 40's...and tomorrow is supposed to get up around 50 or so....good workin' weather if you ask me.)

I was actually eyeing up the Klaw's in the DK catalog...they seem to be a decent tire, and you get fancy writing on the sidewall to boot [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-25-2009, 01:27 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Quadsport_Scotty

Thanks. I'm feeling inspired to go out and do some more teardown on the beast since it's so nice out today (another day in the low 40's...and tomorrow is supposed to get up around 50 or so....good workin' weather if you ask me.)

I was actually eyeing up the Klaw's in the DK catalog...they seem to be a decent tire, and you get fancy writing on the sidewall to boot [img][/img]</end quote></div>

Yeah it does look nice! But I was impatient and when DK was out of stock of the front size I wanted, I ordered them from Rocky Mountain. So rears from DK and fronts from Rocky, and two different sidewall styles. haha, oh well.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:27 PM
Elite Pro Rider

ya, the price i told you was canadian dollars....i'm looking at anywhere from 150 - 200 per tire (canadian dollars)

I mainly trail ride, not much mudding, love pulling the fronts up in the air occasionally, and, as you might have guessed since I'm up here in Canada, occasional rips in the snow...suggestions?</end quote></div>

What is that.... 120-160 US??? http://research.stlouisfed.org.../series/DEXCAUS?cid=94

You're getting ripped off! Convert to US and buy in the US.

If you're not a fan of sliding or drifting on dirt, or you ride on surfaces like snow and you need to maximize traction then you should pursue a tire the complete opposite of what I was shopping for in the first place. My goal was to be able to break the backend loose at a moment's notice. For that reason I bought the Kenda Klaw XCR in the 20 inch size. However, once I lengthened my swingarm, that became a mute point. Now I need to maximize traction... Much like what I think you're trying to do. So, we're both in the same boat in that regard. What I have done is to remove every other center lug on my tires and have noticed extra traction to be able to pull up the front end. I might slice a few more lugs off to make "scoops" of sorts with the hopes of digging in even more. What I would recommmend (based on my experiments and a little reading around last year) is something with a wide spacing between the lugs (ITP TracStars come to mind, but I'm sure there are others. I believe I paid $70 each for the tracstars). Something that will not hold mud or snow and has the spacing needed to maximize the PSI the lug exerts on the ground. The tread pattern itself is probably of little importance, just so long as the spacing is correct. Tires like holeshots and the sort have a lug spacing so tight that they hold mud and probably snow, but have excellent traction for what they were designed for... Flat, hard dirt.

The 2nd constraint I would pay special attention to is the tire weight. But that's me and my desire to be able to light the tires up on a whim. I'm a big fan of sliding, drifting, and donuts. TracStars are advertised at 13 lbs, but I weighed them and they're acutally 1 lb heavier than the Kenda Klaws. Something like 16 or 17 lbs. TracStars may not be the best, but I can sure see them digging in some snow and pulling you over a snow covered log if you needed to. They don't slide too badly either. I have em on a 300 lakota. But because of my obsession with sliding, I wouldn't put them on a stock 230 lengthed swingarm because they dig too much. On a +4 swingarm, yeah, that would probably work out ok for me.... Except for the extra 2 lbs I'd have back there. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Here's a decent review of tires: http://www.atvrideronline.com/..._tire_test/maxxis.html

Old 02-25-2009, 01:38 PM
Trailblazer

Dude...you're practically right on with the conversion of dollars...ya, it hurts to be pumped like that and I actually do buy a lot of my stuff across the border.

As far as the tire talk goes, now you're talking my language! Sounds like we're definitely into the same kind of riding, so I'm going to take your advice and look at these other tires you mentioned...the one thing i do love is a nicely controlled high speed drift!

Old 02-25-2009, 01:39 PM
Elite Pro Rider

thanks for the info about spacers...may just forget about em. What would the benefit (if any) of a longer swingarm be?

oh, and abou the pic of "270"...that's SICK, lol</end quote></div>

A longer swingarm moves the center of gravity to the front. You'll have less weight on the back wheels which makes sliding easier and during holeshots the front end will stay on the ground instead of flipping you off the back. And just like a long rudder keeps a boat sailing straight, having the back wheels farther back helps you to drive straight.

The downside I've found is having to lean back to get the back tires to dig in if I took a notion to dragrace someone. I'm used to straddling the gas tank. Can't do that with the +4 or I'll just throw dirt and watch my competitor hook-up and take off. The other problem is wheeliing. Its tough to get enough traction and its tough to find the balance point since the whole quad is longer and the front is higher in the air.

I'm thinking a +2 swingarm would be about right. Stock is too wheelie happy and +4 is too slippery. Then again, if I was strictly racing, I would take the +4 in a heartbeat. Being able to take the curves sideways is worth its weight in gold. But for playing around n having fun, the +2 may be the way to go for the wheelies.

I'm going to have some new pics up soon, but this is what the swingarm looks like at +4:

Name:  DCP_2860.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  242.7 KB

Old 02-25-2009, 01:42 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: atvman29

I feel the Kenda Klaw XCs have done alright in the snow. As good as a 2x4 can be in the snow!</end quote></div>

I never see snow, so I wouldn't know. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-25-2009, 01:48 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Dude...you're practically right on with the conversion of dollars...ya, it hurts to be pumped like that and I actually do buy a lot of my stuff across the border. </end quote></div>

I'm a bit of a recreational economist. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>As far as the tire talk goes, now you're talking my language! Sounds like we're definitely into the same kind of riding, so I'm going to take your advice and look at these other tires you mentioned...the one thing i do love is a nicely controlled high speed drift!</end quote></div>

If you want the high speed drift, get the Kendas. My friend had bald tires at one point and everybody LOVED those! I swear you could make better times thru the trails with the baldies than anything else because you never had to worry about bicycling around turns. Just gun it n go... Bouncing off the sides of the trail. I think we would have had to aim directly at a tree in order to wreck. It was a blast!

Old 02-26-2009, 08:33 AM
Trailblazer

Well, after much searching yesterday, I found a good supplier with good prices on tires, so that's not so much of an issue now. Now I can work on tearing this thing down and makin' it pretty. I think that a +2 swingarm might be what I'll go for eventually, since I'd like to do some racing as well as pounding the trails.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:15 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Sounds good. What did you decide powerwise? Gonna bore it or anything? Carb? Increase compression?

Quick Reply: '89 Quadsport Mods