Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

'89 Quadsport Mods

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 01:39 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '89 Quadsport Mods

Hey all,

just picked up an '89 Quadsport 250 in excellent condition (it's a 2 owner machine, with me being the third). Looking for some tips or ideas on mods and aftermarket goodies. I'm very talented with tools and can fabricate as well...thanks

Old 02-23-2009, 02:01 PM
Pro Rider

Well you'll be glad you have those skills because you've stumbled across a fairly rare ATV. eBay will most likely be your best source for parts and there isn't a huge selection. Plus you have people like myself who have 230s that are hunting for 250S parts since many components are interchangeable between the two and the 250S parts are improvements over the older 230 parts.

I just picked up an entire front end from a 250S off ebay for my 230S.

You should join us in the massive 230S thread and everyone in there can help you out with mods and stuff since the vehicles are so similar.

Post up some pics too!

Old 02-23-2009, 02:08 PM
Trailblazer

Wow, fast reply - thanks. I'll definitely take a peek in the forum you mentioned, as I've quickly figured out that the 230 and 250 share a lot of parts. As for the "rare" factor, I don't mind that. It's nice to have something that not too many other people have. When I called the local Suzuki dealership here, and ran the serial number by them they asked if it was a blue and white model, and when I said yes, they said "wow", so I gathered that a) it was a rare find, or b) it was a piece of crap and they couldn't bear to tell me, lol. I'll catch up with you all soon and get some ideas. As for pics, they'll be up shortly.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:16 PM
Pro Rider

It is cool that its rare and they were good wheelers from what I've heard.

Looking forward to the pics!

Old 02-23-2009, 07:48 PM
Pro Rider

the lt230 and lt250 have the same engine. the lt250 just has a slightly longer stroke making it a 250. i think the cylinder heads are even the same. so you may be able to use almost everything else from a 230

Old 02-23-2009, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider

Wow, that is a super clean 250S! Nice find!

Old 02-23-2009, 08:13 PM
Pro Rider

yeah man awesome find, i always wanted to get to see what one of those things acutally looked like in nice condition.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:04 AM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: NewportHillClimber

the lt230 and lt250 have the same engine. the lt250 just has a slightly longer stroke making it a 250. i think the cylinder heads are even the same. so you may be able to use almost everything else from a 230</end quote></div>

No, you're way off. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] The engines look the same, but that's about where it ends. The stroke length is exactly the same (67mm), but the bore is bigger on the 250. The 250 has a longer rod and a bigger wrist pin. The heads are different as well. The 250 has a 1mm larger intake valve and some factory porting done. The 250 jug is about 4mm taller due to the longer rod. The 250 has a 7 disk clutch instead of the 6 disk the 230 has. The 250 has a different 4th gear ratio than the 230... All other gears are the same. The reverse lever goes in the opposite direction to engage reverse. The cam of the 250 is a longer duration and higher lift. And the exhaust header comes straight out of the head instead of at an angle like the 230 has.

Like Atvman was saying, the 250 was a big improvement over the 230. The idea was for it to compete with the 250x and the mojave, since the 230 was no match.

The improvements didn't stop at the engine either. The axle is longer, the a-arms are longer, the swingarm bolt is longer, the shocks are longer and much better. The rear shock has an external rezzy too.

Pretty much whatever you'd want to do to a 230, the 250 is already that way from the factory. Definitely a lucky find! [img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img]

The oil filters, air filters, and spark plugs are the same though. The carb bodies are the same, but the 250 has different jets and needle... Possibly due to epa requirements of later years since the main jet is smaller on the 250, but the needle is richer.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:14 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Man, that is a nice looking quad there Scotty! That's the first one I've seen that had the rear fenders. Something about the 250 plastic didn't last too long, so keep yours out of the sun.

As far as mods go, you can get an Arias high comp piston for it or even get a 270cc kit! Not sure how much more power you'd get from an aftermarket cam, since you already have a decent one. You could get a 28mm carb instead of the stock 26mm and a higher flow airfilter. Not much else to do... Suzuki did most of it back in 1989. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Watch that chain though. I don't think suzuki solved the problems that plagued the 230's with the chain coming off and cracking up the magneto cover. Oh yeah, that's another thing. The 250 puts out 5 additional watts over the 230 for lighting. Forgot about that. But anyway, make sure your swingarm bearings are in good shape and keep the chain replaced on schedule or you'll have a cracked mag cover and an oil leak.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:28 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the compliments guys...once in a while I do get lucky in life, lol. I haven't had it out much yet, but from the few short rides I have had, I think that this thing will be a good project, and could possibly be made to kick some butt. I'm liking the idea of keeping the internals stock as long as i can, so before I ride it anymore, I'm going to go over it with a fine tooth comb and check and re-check all the specs and clearances - I'd hate to grenade it because I was too anxious to get out on it. Since I have a back injury at present, I won't be doing much riding for the next couple of months and am going to do a total tear down of the machine for restoration and mod purposes, so I have a few more questions guys...

1 - I'm surprised at the small (?) size of the carb, and figured that a 250 thumper would have had something more like a 36 or 38mm on it...why so small, and would I gain any performance or just tuning headaches going to something bigger?

2- should I think about a power jet kit for it?

3- i don't like the stock handlebars and want to swap them out for a set of Renthals, but they don't make them for my machine, which is no big deal...I can just make a custom riser for them. Do you guys like the Renthals or do you have a better suggestion for a good all-purpose bar, keeping in mind that i don't want to go oversize bars...

4- the headlight is just plain ugly! Any slick or cool ideas for a new one?

...and this just occurred to me - should all these issues be discussed here or in separate forums...don't want to tick anyone off....

Thanks, and talk to you soon

Quick Reply: '89 Quadsport Mods