Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

400+ KQ opinions needed...

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 09:51 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400+ KQ opinions needed...

Gentlemen, i am currently looking to replace one of my ATV's. It's a 2003 Yam Big Bear. I am looking at brand new. My original thought was sticking with a Honda or Yamaha in the 400 or so class. I have been hearing some very good things about Suzuki thou.

I know very LITTLE about suzuki however. I ride snowmobiles (yamaha 4S) and many of my friends have arctic Cat which have suzuki motors. Put it this way, i would NOT touch and arctic cat if they where the last sleds on earth. I guess the ques here is how different suzuki is from CAT when i comes to ATV's.

My goal for this atv is plowing, yard work, pulling small trailer, ice fishing and some off trail riding. I don't care if its the fastest, my goal is reliability and toughness. I am looking for an ATV that will last, do what i need it to do, and not have to worry about taking it in to the dealer for repair. I have owned yamaha ATV's in the past and they have been rock solid. I still have a 96 kodiak that hasn't given me any trouble that i plan to keep because its just so damn good. I ride mostly in N Wisconsin if that helps understanding the trails i would be riding.

Please tell me about suzuki ATV's. I found a dealer and their pricing seems to be much more reasonable that Honda. HOnda altough reliable seems to be high priced without much in the way of technology or flash. Generally speaking i have found them to be about $900-$1200 more for competing models over yamaha. Can't really justify that really as they have less options too. Seem's to be all in the name. Can you help?

Old 04-17-2009, 10:59 AM
Pro Rider
Reconranger (automatics are for sissies)!

I'd say for what you are planning to do, the Big Bear or 400 King would do fine. The reliability on both machines, through any posts I have seen, are above average. I do believe the Big Bear now has IRS which would make it a bit cushier ride than the 400 King but with that you also have more moving parts.
So all in all, I don't know if I helped you or not but with either of the above machines, you won't go wrong.
Buck

Old 04-17-2009, 07:32 PM
Range Rover

Dont get a honda they dont have the features of the suzuki. From my experience, Suzuki is probably the most reliable machine you can buy. Ive got both a suzuki dirtbike and fourwheeler( kingquad 400).And they are such a nice machine. So much better priced then say honda or yamaha. It is almost as comfortable as independant suspension cause it has double shocks in the back which is good. Its a full sized (same dimensions as the kingquad 750 give or take a few mm ) just with a smaller engine which i like aswell. It starts up first push of the starter even in the -30 weather here its soo nice just go buy it right away i cant even say all the good things about it. Please go to this website

Reviews of Motorcycle, ATV, Snowmobile and Watercraft vehicles

scoll down and take a look at the brand name with the top rating. Then if you click a type of atv u can reviews based on that individual machine.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:27 PM
Pro Rider

Suzuki KQ 400 does real good for plowing. I've had my Eiger since '03 and its always been reliable, even with all its been through. Good quad, with a good track record. Plus its an auto or manual whichever you prefer.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:43 PM
Pro Rider

cant go wrong with a zuki, always very solid and reliable bikes.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:05 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

My neighbor has a Arctic Cat 400 (Suzuki motor). He plows for all the neighbors. We live rural and all have big driveways. It's 3 years old now and has never been worked on (with the exception of the aftermarket winch, he plows so much the cables break).
I think you'll be impressed with a Zuki product. I know I'm inpressed with the neighbors.
I started out w/a Zuki 4x4 in 1998. It was a great machine.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:18 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Keep your 03 Big bear it has the same specs as a 400 KQ.

2003 Yamaha Big Bear 400 4X4 ATVs

Except selectable 2wd to 4wd what are you changing for?

Old 04-18-2009, 07:20 PM
Range Rover

why would you keep a big bear 400 turtle when you can buy a brand new kingquad 400 speedster lol. Its a better machine anyways

Old 04-18-2009, 08:04 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by kingquad400
why would you keep a big bear 400 turtle when you can buy a brand new kingquad 400 speedster lol. Its a better machine anyways
well said haha

Old 04-19-2009, 06:18 PM
Pro Rider
Reconranger (automatics are for sissies)!

I agree with TLC. Unless speed is an issue the Big Bear will do everything you were asking about.
Although I love my Suzuki I keep an open mind. If comfort IS a major issue, the IRS is much more comfortable than the SRA King....even if it does have two shocks, the comfort isn't anywhere near the same.
Buck

Quick Reply: 400+ KQ opinions needed...