Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Suzuki Quadrunner with intermittent engine miss, please help me!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 09:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suzuki Quadrunner with intermittent engine miss, please help me!

I have a 1995 Suzuki Quadrunner 250cc, model LTF250. I bought it in rough shape but have fixed it up and it runs great except for one problem.

Every once in a while, the engine will miss when it is revved up. It always idles good, but when you hit the accelerator, it just bogs and misses. This only happens sometimes, so its not a continuous problem. Most of the time, the engine revs fine and has plenty of power. When its missing it has no power at all.

I took it to a local cycle shop and they cleaned the carb and adjusted the float (it does run better now, and starts quicker). They did get it to miss when testing it, and said the problem was a faulty handlebar switch (kill & start switch box). Instead of replacing it I took it apart and cleaned the contacts well. The switch ohms a perfect closed circuit now. When running it a little today it did miss and I fiddled with the kill switch and it didn't help. The mechanic mentioned he hit the start switch and it cleared right up. Well, this is true only because hitting the start switch engages the starter and helps the engine run. If you press the start button, it clears up only for a brief moment and then misses again.

The miss can occur when the engine is cold or hot. I'm gonna have to go back and tell him he was wrong. Let me know if you guys have any ideas on what this may be. I appreciate your help.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider

check for water in your oil. my lt cracks and sputters if i go through deep water and get a little in my case.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:45 AM
Trailblazer

fastvance, I have the exact same problem with my 98 and a buddie of mine has the same problem with his 95......now here's what really blows my mine, when the motor is missing and the key switch is in the "RUN" position I can turn the switch to lights on and the motor runs like brand new(no problems). Now after the motors warms up it runs just fine with no problems at all no matter what position the key switch is in!
My problem began after going through a river in WVa. on a ATV trail and it didn't start happening until the day after going through the water, the ATV ran fine all day and we rode 66 miles that day. I'm at a lost for ideas on what could be wrong other than I'm pretty sure it's electrical and not fuel related.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:41 AM
Trailblazer

Well after removing all the plastic and racks and checking every wires end I have found the reason my atv was running crazy.............THE BATTERY WAS BONE DRY!
I put a new battery in and I have a new machine!