Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

1992 300 King Quad Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009 | 08:57 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default 1992 300 King Quad Weak Spark and other Problems

Hello all,

Hoping that you can help me out with my King Quad.

Here's the story:

I bought this ATV for $300 off of a neighbor. The model number is LT-F4WDX, I believe. It has 1900 miles, and was in fairly good shape. It had been sitting in the back of a semi-enclosed gooseneck trailer for 2 years, then out in the elements of a pasture for 1. When I got it, the engine was stuck, but I got it freed. The carburetor was also seized, but I completely stripped it down, cleaned it and freed it as well. The air filter was highly varnished, and falling apart, but I figured that it would do until after I got it running. It had a fairly weak spark, but it was powerful enough to fire.
I finally got the machine running, and driving, then took it out for a test run. When I idled down to make a turn, it died and would not start or even fire again. I took the cover off of the air filter case and saw that it had sucked the varnished filter into the air intake, but most of the debris was caught by the screen in the intake tube.
I went ahead and stripped the carburetor down again, and thoroughly cleaned each part, then put it back together again, still wouldn't start. I checked the spark, and it is very weak, even on a brand new plug. I have checked all of my connections to and from the ignition coil, but spark is still very weak. Do I need a new coil, or is it something simpler (and cheaper, hopefully?)
If you need more information, I will be happy to provide it. My technical knowledge is not professional, but I definitely know my way around these machines, as I have worked on King Quads and QuadRunners for years.

Old 06-20-2009 | 08:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

does it have a vacum operated petcock? i have one that wants to suck fuel through the vac line causing it to flood. i just plugged the vac hose & runs fine on prime position.

Old 06-20-2009 | 08:31 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by jeffhunts
does it have a vacum operated petcock? i have one that wants to suck fuel through the vac line causing it to flood. i just plugged the vac hose & runs fine on prime position.
Nope, just standard gravity - flow petcock on mine. It's definitely getting fuel to the cylinder, it's just not got a very hot spark. I don't really want to pull anything off of my Quadrunner to test, either, because it has a sprayer on it, to assist me in my war against multi-flora rose bushes

Old 06-29-2009 | 08:37 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

BUMP!
Still having this issue. I think that I have tracked it down to either the Ignition Coil or the Stator. I sure hope it's the ignition coil, because it's $70 and really easy to replace, whereas the stator is 300 and you have to pull the engine... Anyone know how to test either component accurately?

Old 07-01-2009 | 07:55 AM
Trailblazer

multimeter