Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Z-400 Exhaust.....DMC or Motoworks??

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 12:08 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z-400 Exhaust.....DMC or Motoworks??

I'm still tossed up!

I THINK I have it narrowed down to DMC's Quiet Slip-On pipe, and Motowork's SR-4 Slip on pipe.

Both meet the sound and all the other things I'm looking for, so I'm looking for some personal experiences and recommendations. Sound clips would be great too!

I've contacted both companies and only heard back from DMC who have emailed me three times now addressing all my questions. That communication really shows that they stand behind their product which really makes me feel good.

So if you know anything about either of these pipes, let me know! Or if you have any pics or vids, please show me!

I can't decide.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:33 AM
Range Rover

I think Yoshimura is the generally favored pipes on z400's. You did say that you have a sounds requirement and the 2 z400's i ride with who have yoshs are amazingly loud. The sound is deep and throaty though, sounds great near the top end. They say the power was pretty noticeable once put on and tuned.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:18 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by murox
I think Yoshimura is the generally favored pipes on z400's. You did say that you have a sounds requirement and the 2 z400's i ride with who have yoshs are amazingly loud. The sound is deep and throaty though, sounds great near the top end. They say the power was pretty noticeable once put on and tuned.
My coworker has a yosh on his Z and I can't say I'm a huge fan of how it sounds. My sound requirement is a nice deep, agressive tone, yet 96dB or less. Both the DMC and Motoworks meet that sound requirement. Plus the Yosh pipe is substantially more expensive.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:49 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I'd get the one that's the most quiet.
Congrats to you for thinking about the db level.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

If you are just going with the slip on and are worried about the sound level, maybe you shoud just stick with the stock muffler. I'm not trying to start a debate or anything, but I think that there is very little, if any, power gain from adding a slip on. The limitations of the stock exhaust are mostly the fault of the head pipe. Most of your power gains will come from freeing up the intake and jetting.

In any case, if you are dead set on getting a new muffler or system, check out the CT systems. I don't know if they make a slip on, but their full system is one of the quietest around and it still makes more power than most other systems.

I have a Yosh on my Z400 and it is ungodly loud. I have an HMF on my Yamaha Big Bear and it too is loud. I found the CT because I've been looking for something more quiet.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:01 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LT80
I'd get the one that's the most quiet.
Congrats to you for thinking about the db level.
AMEN to that, if I hear one more "BLAAAAAAAA" pipe go by my campsite,I might just go just a little postal !!

Old 07-31-2009, 02:25 PM
Pro Rider

I hear yah on the stock exhause debate. I'm running a stock exhaust with the baffles out right now and I do like the sound level, but I'm not fond of not having a spark arrestor. The DMC quiet slip-on claims under 96db, 13% increase in horsepower, 16% increase in torque, and a 4.35 lbs. weight savings over the stock system.

Seems like some pretty good gains.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

If you haven't already removed the lid on your air box and are still running the stock jetting, you should try that first. I know that slip on exhaust manufacturers make claims about horsepower increases with the use of their product, but I do believe that most of those increases come from rejetting. Bikes are jetted on the lean side from the factory.

Like I said, if you are just itching to get an after market sound on your bike, go for it. I wouldn't blame you. I run the HMF on my Big Bear because I like the sound, not because of any gains in power. If you just want the increase in power, I'd first try removing the air lid and then rejetting the main with something like a 155 or 160 Mikuni jet (assuming that you are running the stock carb), depending on your elevation. I think a jet goes for around $3.

If you decide to get the pipe, be sure to check out the CT. I don't know that they make slip ons, but their full systems seem to be liked by many and they are quiet.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:49 PM
Pro Rider

Motoworks

Old 08-01-2009, 12:53 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by TonyAngel
If you haven't already removed the lid on your air box and are still running the stock jetting, you should try that first. I know that slip on exhaust manufacturers make claims about horsepower increases with the use of their product, but I do believe that most of those increases come from rejetting. Bikes are jetted on the lean side from the factory.

Like I said, if you are just itching to get an after market sound on your bike, go for it. I wouldn't blame you. I run the HMF on my Big Bear because I like the sound, not because of any gains in power. If you just want the increase in power, I'd first try removing the air lid and then rejetting the main with something like a 155 or 160 Mikuni jet (assuming that you are running the stock carb), depending on your elevation. I think a jet goes for around $3.

If you decide to get the pipe, be sure to check out the CT. I don't know that they make slip ons, but their full systems seem to be liked by many and they are quiet.
I would like to keep the air lid on, because here in MN, we get wet quite frequently. There are some trails that we go on that are wet all year round. That's the reason I go with UNI filters as well. I'd go through about 10 K&Ns per year!

I have heard good things about the CT Racing pipe, but they're kinda ugly to be honest. This is as much about looks and sound as it is about performance, IMO.

Quick Reply: Z-400 Exhaust.....DMC or Motoworks??