Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Suzuki LTZ400 high idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 12:23 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suzuki LTZ400 high idle

The quad has been sitting for a short time and now that I'm moving I need to sell it. I fired it up and it had a really high idle. I took the carb off to clean it, I drained the fuel tank and checked the oil. Put everything back together with some fresh gas and it ran great. I took it around the block and I started to get a little sad that I had to sell it. I put it in the garage for the night and today when I went to move it to the shed, it had a high idle again. I checked the air filter and whether it's on or off the bike still idles the same. Even if I try to adjust the throttle **** on the bottom of the carb it doesn't change the idle setting whatsoever. This is REALLY weird because yesterday after I put it all back together I was able to use the **** to adjust the idle fine. It's almost like extra fuel is going to the carb and I can't stop it. Anything I can check for? Thanks in advance.

If it helps, after it high idles for a second and I turn it off (before cleaning and present) it will backfire right as it's shutting down.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:52 PM
Trailblazer

hows the choke?

Old 09-21-2009, 08:08 AM
Trailblazer

I'm thinking the choke was disconnected. I distinctively remember the person that sold it to me telling me that. Also, I put a towel in the airbox to see if I could change the idle at all by starving the engine and it didn't change much. I'm guessing then I have a vacuum leak?

Old 09-22-2009, 12:54 PM
Trailblazer

Anything else you guys think it could be? I'm pulling my hair out.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

I've said this about a dozen time on this site.
The ONLY way an engine can RPM is an air leak. You can add all the fuel you want and it won't RPM.

Now, this can be as simple as a bad cable and it is hanging up the slide. Could be the slide has a ding in it and is hanging up.
You could have an leak in the carb boot and it sucking air from there.

My WAG is you have a bad cable and it is hanging up.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:53 PM
Trailblazer

It's been about 8 months since I've taken it out. When I took it out the last time there were no issues. Do you think the cable got stuck like that or am I to assume it's the air leak then? Are there any tubes that typically go bad near the carb? Is it safe to use the method of starter fluid around the carb? Also, if it helps, it seems like the header is substantially hotter than normal... Oh, also, when it's running, I would say it's in the neighborhood of about 3.5k rpms. If you rev the engine, it doesn't seem like it goes any higher, like it's hitting a rev limiter, or maybe even running out of air or fuel.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

extra heat sounds like you are very lean, which points to an air leak. Especially 2 strokes are sensitive to air leaks, they will rev to the moon with a bad gasket or hole in the intake, a 4 stroke should not be as testy, but will still react to an air leak. Try spraying aroung the carb, air boot and intake with carb or brake cleaner, if the idle suddenly drops, you found your air leak.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Doctorturbo
I've said this about a dozen time on this site.
The ONLY way an engine can RPM is an air leak. You can add all the fuel you want and it won't RPM.

Now, this can be as simple as a bad cable and it is hanging up the slide. Could be the slide has a ding in it and is hanging up.
You could have an leak in the carb boot and it sucking air from there.

My WAG is you have a bad cable and it is hanging up.
Hey, Doc, maybe it's his OCTANE !!!!!!!!!!! or wrong kind of oil ???????? ( sorry, inside joke, didn't mean to stray from the post)

Old 09-23-2009, 02:11 PM
Trailblazer

Well, you guys were right. It WAS running lean, but it was because the jet that I cleaned got clogged again. Apparently, after I cleaned the jets and ran the quad the fuel jet got plugged up again. I pulled the carb apart, cleaned the jet and the rest of the carb a little more thoroughly and put everything back together. It's working fine and I'm thinking it should be good to go. If it happens again I'll most likely have to rip apart the entire carb to clean it. Thanks for the help guys.