Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

quad purchase - what accessories?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 10:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quad purchase - what accessories?!

ok, within the week (maybe tomorrow) I'm pulling the trigger on a Suzuki KQ 400. Need a bit of feedback on what accessories I should throw in - I figure may as well get em when I buy the thing. I know I should be doing my due diligence and searching all this stuff out and prices, but no time right now and need info quick!

Its gonna be a work machine primarily, though I do want a seat for those rides with the kids. Also, will require a winch but only for the purposes of hauling trees down and stuff (I think?). Could just a regular winch and chain attatched to the quad not do this job fine. (ie. do I need to cough up for the Warn winch for this?).

Anyways, long msg, but I'm about to lose my virginity here (my first quad)
and wanna be a little mindful of who I lose it to! Right now, all I'm thinking I need is a back seat but dealer said he'd 20% off accessories when I purchase. Hence this query...

thx guys,
S

Old 12-05-2009, 04:55 AM
Trailblazer
Cool Accessories

As always this is the sort of thing that really depends on the individual and the type of riding you plan on doing, however - IMHO there are a few things that I think should be standard;

#1 A Warn Winch - this is not JUST for pulling down trees - it is for pulling you out of mud holes that you WILL get yourself into (eventually) or your buddies that were not smart enough to buy a KQ,

#2 Hand and Thumb Warmers - in the cooler climates a heated hand grip is a wonderful thing, especially if you are planning to use the machine in the woods in the spring & fall, or when plowing the snow in the winter,

#3 A Utility Box / Rear Seat, again, if you are planning to use this machine for work - it is REAL nice to have a place to store and transport your tools. The KQ 400/450/500 are single rider machines BUT if you are only planning to have the kids ride with you these can double up as a rear seat - just don't put too big a person back there - it will foul up your centre of gravity.

#4 A Warn Snow Plow; can be added any time but if you have to move a lot of snow on a long driveway - nice to have and you were buying this machine to be a working tool...

Good Luck and have a look at the KQ 500 with EPS - you will never regret it!

Old 12-05-2009, 06:15 AM
Pro Rider

I would go ahead and get some 26" 6 ply tire as well, I like the XTR's and Big Horns