Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Jerky 500 AXi

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 06:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Jerky 500 AXi

I have a new 09 500 Axi which I like very much, except when decending steep grades in either low or high range, and giving a very little throttle (just off idle), to try to maintain a constant speed, it bucks and speeds up, slows down,speeds up, erradically, with out moving the thumb throttle. It sometimes will also backfire . If you stop, and shift to neutral, rev up the engine, let return to idle, and shift into gear, and continue,it will be fine for a short while, but will do it again. Has done it since new, has 150 miles on it now. Anyone have any suggestions? Also if you put machine in gear from an idle hold brake, give it a little throttle, about as much as mentioned above, engine does not run smoothly. Does this sound like a fuel injector problem?

Old 12-31-2009, 07:13 PM
Pro Rider

I also have a 09 500 and it is sometimes hard to hold the thumb throttle in a steady position goin down a grade, especially while riding over bumps, so this might be why you feel like it is bucking. From what I hear and expierience, all the fuel injected KQ's backfire every now and then due to the fuel injection and computer module constantly changing the fuel mapping and that this is normal. I have noticed that the throttle is very sensitive but also would assume this is normal as the fuel injection responds a little quicker to throttle positions. I have had no problems out of mine so far and I am very, very happy with it. My wifes 450 will backfire from time to time as well but, like mine, it is mostly when it is decelerating down hill. If you are not satisfied with the performance, I would have your dealership check it out to be sure. Good Luck and enjoy your new KQ!!

Old 01-01-2010, 06:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for reply stillV1. Maybe that is what I'm not used to. This is my first injected machine. It doe take some getting used to. Your machine sounds like it is doing the same as mine. Also, another question, does your 500 sound like it has a severe pre-ignition, or pinging when you get on the throttle, especially in high range? Thanks vics

Old 01-02-2010, 02:09 PM
Pro Rider

No I cant say that I have ever experienced that with mine. If it were me,for pieceof mind, I would take it to my dealer and have it checked, after all it still is under warranty isnt it?

Old 01-05-2010, 06:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks again stillV1, I called my dealer today, and he does want to look at my 500. Maybe nothing, but I will feel better if he looks at it. I'll let you know what he says. He is going to call his Suzuki service rep, about this.