Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Soon to be used LT80 owner! Have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 11:05 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soon to be used LT80 owner! Have a few questions

I am fairly certain I have made up my mind to purchase a user LT80 vs a new Chinese Quad for my son. In case anyone else needs help on making a similiar decision here is the thread: http://forums.atvconnection.com/kids...ails-post.html

I don't know much about motors but I want to learn... I have no idea what the shape of the LT80 is actually in besides cosmetic. I know it will start and idle and from what I can tell it isn't cracked anywhere.. (from what I can tell which isn't saying much)

I have two questions and one of these was answered really well in my other thread but I wanted to get more opinions...

1. What do you look for in a used machine.. What are the red flags and what are the pros.

2. The first thing I notice is there is no front brake lever. I need information on how to replace that and possible the brake drums.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:11 AM
Trailblazer

Hi burgezz, not knocking you at all but reading through your posts it kind of seems like you're looking for a magic bullet kind of answer as to how to know if a used quad is a good one or going to be a huge p.i.t.a. because it has unknown problems.

Plain and simple, if you buy used you ARE buying someone elses problems, no matter what it is you buy...in my opinion anyway. ANYTHING used I've ever bought has required time and money to get it to a point I'm comfortable with it. Others, I'm sure, can just buy something and ride it like it is even if it's not working correctly, that's just not me.

The magic bullet answer is take the quad to a mechanic you trust, have him tear it down and inspect the internals of the engine, check the bearings, check the case, gears, sprockets, steering, breaks, clutch, exhaust, frame, axles, etc. But then again, after you do all that you could have just put that money into a newer quad.

Just my 2 cents but I might suggest waiting on your purchase and save some more money to at least get into a newer quad. In the long run this has always proved to be a better option for me at least.

Hope that helps.

Keep us posted on your decisions.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:34 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

You can buy the front brake lever. It's the thumb throttle and brake lever. Last one I got was like 35 bucks.
Brake drums? That's sorts obvious. No rocket science there. I'm sure you can look at them and understand.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:50 AM
Trailblazer

I can't thank you guys enough for your patience... I will try to quit asking dumb questions...

I have great news though!!! I found an '02 model 80 for $800.00. I am going to pick it up tomorrow....

Old 04-16-2010, 10:19 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

Good deal!!!

Old 04-16-2010, 10:54 AM
Trailblazer

Not dumb questions at all, same questions I think everyone had/has when they first start getting into anything new. Somtimes there are just no good answers. Keep on askin away. If ya don't ask ya don't know.

Congrats on your find! Post up some pics when you get 'er home.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:47 PM
Trailblazer

Guys.... I am sorry to report that I am extremely disappointed...

I picked up the 80 and was really excited but it did have some issues:
  • Someone had remove the throttle screw so I had to stop by Lowes and try to match it up which didn't work out great.
  • I also had to pump up the tires and noticed one had a leak which I plugged.
  • The machine also needs a little brake work because only 1 wheel on the front is stopping and the foot break requires really hard pressure to get it to work.
  • The bike also takes an extremely long time to start..... it turns over and over and finally after messing with the choke and gas it fires... After it warms up though it seems fine.

All of these seem to be minor compared to the next sentence.

The bike is too powerful for my son. He is afraid of it and I am afraid for him to be on it. I am 300 lbs and it can pull me up a hill... After about 8 hours of driving to pick it up and a very, very looong day I am a little disheartened.

Old 04-17-2010, 09:40 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by burgezz
Guys.... I am sorry to report that I am extremely disappointed...

I picked up the 80 and was really excited but it did have some issues:
  • Someone had remove the throttle screw so I had to stop by Lowes and try to match it up which didn't work out great.
  • I also had to pump up the tires and noticed one had a leak which I plugged.
  • The machine also needs a little brake work because only 1 wheel on the front is stopping and the foot break requires really hard pressure to get it to work.
  • The bike also takes an extremely long time to start..... it turns over and over and finally after messing with the choke and gas it fires... After it warms up though it seems fine.

All of these seem to be minor compared to the next sentence.

The bike is too powerful for my son. He is afraid of it and I am afraid for him to be on it. I am 300 lbs and it can pull me up a hill... After about 8 hours of driving to pick it up and a very, very looong day I am a little disheartened.

Okay... So I have been reading the forums and I think I need to clean the carburetor. The machine dies if the choke isn't on after it warms up and it idles hard as well... I purchased the service repair manual and will work on this tomorrow.

Wish me luck!

Old 04-18-2010, 08:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

Good Luck! LOl
Your doing just fine.
How old is your rider?

Old 04-18-2010, 10:07 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by LT80
Good Luck! LOl
Your doing just fine.
How old is your rider?
He is turning 7 in may...

I am going to take him to a nice flat long area to help him learn. Can I ask you a couple questions I can't find the answer for on the forums?

1. There is no throttle limiter screw. Do you know what size and lenght screw I can get to replace it?

2. The foot brake has to be pushed really far down before it kicks in... can I just adjust that?

Quick Reply: Soon to be used LT80 owner! Have a few questions