Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Soon to be used LT80 owner! Have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 11:44 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

The screw is approx 3/4 inch long or so and I'm sure it's metric. I'm thinking 5mm. I'll try to measure one today.
At the rear of the machine, you'll see the brake cable. You'll notice threads. You turn in the adjuster. Sometimes the brakes are wore and you need to remove the brake lever and move it a spline then adjust the brake. Sometimes you need brake pads.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

The bolt is about a inch long and 5mm x .8

Old 04-18-2010, 03:52 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LT80
The bolt is about a inch long and 5mm x .8
Thankts LT80... I found one and fits great...

Old 04-18-2010, 03:55 PM
Trailblazer

Well I cleaned the carb and it still takes forever to start... any ideas?

Old 04-18-2010, 04:31 PM
Trailblazer

I took some pictures because I didn't know if this was okay or even normal. Again this is the first engine I have ever attempted to work on and I guess I sorta feel like I was taken to the cleaners by the guy that sold it too me.

Anyway... here is a picture that has a lot of grim and dirt under the cylinder cover... is this normal and should I try to clean it out?

The next image is a hose that is broke and I don't really know if I need it. It appears like it was connected at one time.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:04 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by burgezz
Well I cleaned the carb and it still takes forever to start... any ideas?
I think this may be a battery issue. I am going to charge it some and try again tomorrow..

Old 04-18-2010, 07:56 PM
Range Rover
Default Affraid

Hi Burgezz,

Sure he's affraid of it. Nothing natural about it. Just you wait and be patient. Go real slow. Play with it yourself alot. Make sure he can see your face when you play with it, so an open face helmet. Let him play with the helmet and see you put it on and take it off etc. We have a pool. When my daughter was 5 she was TERRIFIED of it. Body shaking scared. Since that summer she has become part fish. Really. You can't get her out of the water. She never gets cold or tired. Honest. She looks at her friends funny when they do. She can (under the just right controls) actually drive my Subaru around on the property at 11 years old. She's good. People think I'm crazy, maybe so. She is just now, very slowly, learning on the quad. A KQ 450. Way more machine than she should be learning on. Just being careful and going slow. She loves it. She has also done tons of on and off road go-karting at her summer day camp.

At some point, they are going to get behind the wheel of a real car on a real road with other real drivers. The more comfortable they are with a vehicle, and having handled them under distress (the fun kind) all the better! Other kids will panic when their a@# starts slipping out in the snow, ours will correct the vehicle properly if we are in view (if not, maybe its not slipping by accident!)

This is, even with feeling like you got the shaft, a GREAT thing and something you two wuill enjoy together. Getting past the scary times and this will be one of the best safety decisions you will have ever made.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:03 PM
Trailblazer

So I think I am going to get a new air filter tomorrow....

Old 04-18-2010, 08:07 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by PBLsQuad450
Hi Burgezz,

Sure he's affraid of it. Nothing natural about it. Just you wait and be patient. Go real slow. Play with it yourself alot. Make sure he can see your face when you play with it, so an open face helmet. Let him play with the helmet and see you put it on and take it off etc. We have a pool. When my daughter was 5 she was TERRIFIED of it. Body shaking scared. Since that summer she has become part fish. Really. You can't get her out of the water. She never gets cold or tired. Honest. She looks at her friends funny when they do. She can (under the just right controls) actually drive my Subaru around on the property at 11 years old. She's good. People think I'm crazy, maybe so. She is just now, very slowly, learning on the quad. A KQ 450. Way more machine than she should be learning on. Just being careful and going slow. She loves it. She has also done tons of on and off road go-karting at her summer day camp.

At some point, they are going to get behind the wheel of a real car on a real road with other real drivers. The more comfortable they are with a vehicle, and having handled them under distress (the fun kind) all the better! Other kids will panic when their a@# starts slipping out in the snow, ours will correct the vehicle properly if we are in view (if not, maybe its not slipping by accident!)

This is, even with feeling like you got the shaft, a GREAT thing and something you two wuill enjoy together. Getting past the scary times and this will be one of the best safety decisions you will have ever made.
Thanks PBL.

I understand what you are saying and totally agree... I grew up with a Kawasaki 220 and I can't explain it but I can drive my vehicle better now and react better because of my quad growing up.

I do sorta feel like I made a bad decision on purchasing the LT80 because of the power and because of the condition. I really couldn't tell very much about it until I got it home and we rode it some. I am trying to convince myself this thing is eventually going to be better than a brand new chinese quad but I am doubting my skills to get it working properly.

But again thanks for your post... I have already decided once and if I get it running well we are going to take a trip to an area I know of that is flat and straight... we can take it slow and let him get the feel of it without the feeling that he might hit something or run over a hill..

Old 04-18-2010, 08:35 PM
Range Rover

Worst comes to worst, do what you can or take it to a shop. Either way it will be better than a cheap Chinese Quad by a lot! (am I allowed to say those sorts of things?). Start with your back yard and real slow speeds etc.. The more he knows the setting and the like the better. Have his Mom show some support too. Maybe I'm lucky, my wife is one of the few people who don't think I'm crazy letting my daughter drive my car around the property at 11 (I starated teaching her at 9). This IS with close supervision, I am right there etc.. Maybe you were a little screwed, no worries, the idea is so right. Lucky boy to have this Dad!!

Quick Reply: Soon to be used LT80 owner! Have a few questions