Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

LT230 Project

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 10:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I underestimated the amount of work this would involve, JUST finished dissasembly today the third afternoon in a row. Just the degreasing is a task in itself, I managed to prime everything that I plan on painting black and blue so far (still have a whole box of red parts to sand and prime) plus the frame and engine!
Name:  IMG_5934.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  162.6 KB

Name:  IMG_5930.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  79.1 KB

Name:  IMG_5929.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  106.2 KB

$pecial primer and paint...yeah, we will see how that holds up under heat.
Name:  IMG_5936.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  63.9 KB

Old 12-01-2010, 04:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

nice work man. thanks for all the photos. Ill be tearing into my 230 project more this weekend and im sure gonna be looking back to this thread

Old 12-01-2010, 06:42 PM
Pro Rider
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by trullitaken5
nice work man. thanks for all the photos. Ill be tearing into my 230 project more this weekend and im sure gonna be looking back to this thread
Completely underestimated the amount of work involved! Just the disassembly and degresing alone takes a long time, let me know if you have any questions I have ripped the entire thing apart a multitude of times so it almost has the back of my hand status. Good luck!

Old 12-01-2010, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PinkFloydEffect
Completely underestimated the amount of work involved! Just the disassembly and degresing alone takes a long time, let me know if you have any questions I have ripped the entire thing apart a multitude of times so it almost has the back of my hand status. Good luck!

just out of curiousity what type of paint are you using on the engine? and degreasing really dont take long if you take your 230 to the car wash for a prelim washing the engine degreaser at a car wash seems to work great for me, plus you have the added power of a powerwasher. i think it took me like a week to completely redo my 230. i just got my spare axle carrier primed and painted a few weeks ago but lost track of my project due to a new crazy work place. and others bring their quads to me for resto. its been a nightmare. just go to the Vault in my sig and you can see what all i tore apart to restore my 230 if youre interested.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:12 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Trailrider230s
just out of curiousity what type of paint are you using on the engine? and degreasing really dont take long if you take your 230 to the car wash for a prelim washing the engine degreaser at a car wash seems to work great for me, plus you have the added power of a powerwasher. i think it took me like a week to completely redo my 230. i just got my spare axle carrier primed and painted a few weeks ago but lost track of my project due to a new crazy work place. and others bring their quads to me for resto. its been a nightmare. just go to the Vault in my sig and you can see what all i tore apart to restore my 230 if youre interested.
PlastiKote engine enamel (temps up to 500F & gasoline resistant)

I have the thing in my basement, it's 40F out during the day here so I used Gunk foaming engine degreaser a brush and some paint thinner. There were many bad seals and such so grease was everywhere and I did not want to sand until it was 100% grease free.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:33 PM
Pro Rider

PlastiKote engine enamel (temps up to 500F & gasoline resistant)

I have the thing in my basement, it's 40F out during the day here so I used Gunk foaming engine degreaser a brush and some paint thinner. There were many bad seals and such so grease was everywhere and I did not want to sand until it was 100% grease free.
yeah no doubt man. mine was soaked in oil and moly grease. the previous owner was a dumb *** and detroyed the mag cover and rode it home spewing oil. here is the list of how you say mismaintained my 230 was: swinger bearings, axle bearings and a arm bearings, all trashed beyond belief. i guess his theory was pack it full of grease and keep riding i guess.

oh and where did you find that paint? Autozone, or somewhere?
And what temp do you think a 230 runs at? i havent figured that out yet.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:42 PM
Pro Rider

yeah no doubt man. mine was soaked in oil and moly grease. the previous owner was a dumb *** and detroyed the mag cover and rode it home spewing oil. here is the list of how you say mismaintained my 230 was: swinger bearings, axle bearings and a arm bearings, all trashed beyond belief. i guess his theory was pack it full of grease and keep riding i guess.

oh and where did you find that paint? Autozone, or somewhere?
And what temp do you think a 230 runs at? i havent figured that out yet.
That sounds like the status of my lt250r, I think there was kool-aid in my damn radiator (flucking hill billy's)

The paint comes from Car Quest
My guess is the temperature of an ATV is less than that of a car and this is automotive paint.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:48 PM
Pro Rider

That sounds like the status of my lt250r, I think there was kool-aid in my damn radiator (flucking hill billy's)

The paint comes from Car Quest
My guess is the temperature of an ATV is less than that of a car and this is automotive paint.

gotta say man i love your sig and the way you think. and you wouldn't be the first to have kool aid in your radiator. its happened to me also. case in point, my 1993 RM125 bike that i co-owned. the dumb *** that traded it to me and a friend of mine said it kept the engine temp down. i think maybe he sat in the garage too long with the bike runnin and the fumes fried his brain cell. or he was dropped repeatedly on his head at birth.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider

ok heres a thought, ow ow brian cramp,

there is some kind of sticker on an atv website that is for your engine to tell you what temp its running at. too bad its like 30 degrees here in the buckeye, i might try them out when to see what wintertime engine temps run at on 230's.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider

ok heres a thought, ow ow brian cramp,

there is some kind of sticker on an atv website that is for your engine to tell you what temp its running at. too bad its like 30 degrees here in the buckeye, i might try them out when to see what wintertime engine temps run at on 230's.

The paint guy at Car Quest today told me he estimates the exhaust on an ATV to reach 700F and up? In this case looks like the paint will be damaged on the header but I'm selling it before it runs that long anyway it will be for sale come spring with 0 riding hours on the new paint job.

Quick Reply: LT230 Project