Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

still need help lt230 runs for 10 mins then dies

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 10:55 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default still need help lt230 runs for 10 mins then dies

it will run strong and drive and idle well not anymore.... i cleaned the carb n now it idles really high no matter wat way i turn the air and fuel screws need help on that n this has happened b4 n after the carb thing it runs for about 10 mins the dies sits for 10-20 then runs for 10 again im thinking it electrical but not sure would apreciate your oppinion

Old 05-27-2010, 07:41 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

If you cleaned the carb and something changed, then there is a issue there.
It quiting after 10 min is usually a CDI problem.
Seems like 2 issues here to me.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:09 AM
Pro Rider

Check ur valves coil and compression

Old 05-27-2010, 06:58 PM
Range Rover

it would run then die ever since i got it. then i took the carb off and cleaned it really good and also pulled the redneck exhaust off it and the motor needs rings so it smokes like crazy so i havent rode it since i cleaned the carb but i doubt it changed the only thing that changed when i cleaned the carb was at first it wuldnt start (this was my first time cleaning a carb ive had f.i.) then i got some help from my dad and he confirmed i did it right except the needle was stuck so i fixed that and it started right up but it idles a little above half throttle so i havent road it so idk if it still shuts off after 10 mins but any ideas on y it idles so high and all rubber and jets are in good condition

Old 05-27-2010, 09:12 PM
Pro Rider

if you have to idle it way up just to get it to idle and no carb adjustments affect anything then its definately time to rebuild and maybe even a valve job. my 230 wouldnt idle but it ran great i just had to keep it revved up to ride it and after a couple years of this i did a valve job on it and now its hard to kick it has so much compression. and the power is way better

Old 05-28-2010, 09:32 PM
Range Rover
Default re:

my 230 is pull start and there will be times were im pulling with all my might and im 5'11 190lbs and it will take evry pound of pressure i can pull on it to kick over. and i dont have to hold the throttle it just idles like that all the time no matter what i do with the mixture screws and the valves look in really good shape

Old 05-28-2010, 10:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A crazy high idle like that could be an intake or head gasket leak.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:03 PM
Range Rover

i was thinking that but it idled perfectly fine then i took the carb apart and evry part i took out came out easy and went back in cleaned... if the floats were bent would that have anything to do with it and also i took the carb apart cuz if i left the fuel on it would over flow so bad out of the overflow hose. it ran out just as fast as if you pulled off the line from the tank to the carb it would just pour out now it doesnt overflow but it idles so high

Old 06-02-2010, 07:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

I think I know what the problem may be. I had this issue at one point too. When you rebuilt the carb are you sure you put everything back the way it was?

Check this guy right here.....

If you have it reversed, your throttle will be stuck almost wide open. I found this out the hard way (and almost the expensive way).

In its normal position, it will look like this...

If it is reversed, it will look like this.....

Here is what it looks like from the top reversed....when it is seated properly, it will slide way down inside the carb and not be visible from the top edge like this.

If you look inside the carb, you'll see a small pin sticking out.....

That pin should slide in this slot on this piece here.....

If you look at the side of the carb, you'll see where the pin is pressed in the side and the grove should be directly above it.....

Hopefully this fix's the problem. If not, sorry dude, I tried. Maybe take it to a shop and have them look at it. Good Luck.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:34 PM
Range Rover

na thats not it cuz it not that high its like its running 1/4 to 1/2 throttle im thinking the floats are bent ad i dont think its a gasket issue b.c. it didnt idle until i cleaned it ad the only thing that was eally wrong was the needle was stuck n i unstuck it n wd40d it

Quick Reply: still need help lt230 runs for 10 mins then dies