Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

need help-1999 quadrunner LT500 4x4 "coupling Rear "

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 11:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile need help-1999 quadrunner LT500 4x4 "coupling Rear "

Hello all, I was out testing out a recent 1988 LT230E that I picked up, when I started getting stuck to much chasing down the other 7 atv guys I was riding with.

So I Drove it to the barn and parked it and got out my 1999 Suzuki LTF500 4x4 and we all started doing some Mudding and trail riding. One lad was dared and dared to go threw a large soupy deep spot which we all knew had can am 4x4's and honda foremans stuck in ..well he made it only a few feet when I had to tow him out as I was the only one with the tow strap, I towed him out twice before my atv finally gave up on me. I was towing from the 1 7/8"s ball on the tow hitch when the atv started a hopping and then I heard a Bang sound and then just the front was a hopping, So I stopped and pulled away for a newer machine to hook up and tow him out... All the way back to the roadway I was stumped as what I may of broken, when there was a small hill infront of me on the trail, I got half way up and just covered myself from the front wheels So I broke something in the rear axle area.

So I had to back up a few hills to get to the roadway, then I drove it to my tow behind trailer and loaded it for the night to cart home and check it over...

I Broke the rear coupling,a bearing and a few rubber seals.

I Am Stumped now how to Unbolt the rest of that broken rear coupling...As I Have the axle Housing and axles in the shed and the housing clamped in my 6" bench vice yet Both axle ends spin when I try to unbolt the rear coupling nut,I Tried to Hold the Axle ends with a long pipe and added the Nuts back on the Wheel studs so I wouldn't damage them Next...And still I just can't get that Nut Loose... Does it turn clock wise or counter clock wise?

I Did use the dremel tool and a cut off wheel to trim away the part of the Nut where it's hammered into the Keyway notch..and used a small Punch and tapped it out of the way... If Pics are Needed Just state it,So I can get clear pics and Post um' to show what I am exactly talking about...

So I may be Interested in Used Suzuki 1988 LT230E Or Suzuki 1999 LT-500 4x4 Quadrunner parts....

Lt230E===== Seat,front center plastic,steering tie rod ends,Upper control arm bushings or a battery....

LT-500===== front rack,rear coupling,or intire rear axle.

Thanks for Having a Site where folks like I can gather info and try and share my tips or idea's with others...

Scottie_The_Boy

Old 09-17-2013, 08:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 98 quadrunner with a broken coupling.. how do you take it off..