Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

LT80 - Fixed Drive Face

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 08:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT80 - Fixed Drive Face

I recently tuned my kids LT80. I bought it used about a year ago. It was pretty beat but I thought I could tackle the project. I am pretty familiar with 2 strokes but not belt drive... The quad was running great at idle then I rode it down the road and an awful sound was coming from the left case cover. I removed the small cover (where the pull start would go I believe) and noticed that the fixed drive face was wobbly. I then pulled the entire left side case cover off and found that the fixed drive face has been rubbing against the inside of my cover and is eaten up pretty bad. Has anybody experienced this before? The only thing I did was remove the oil injection, replace the reeds and re-jet the carb. I don't think removing the oil injection gear had any thing to do with the failure, it doesn't seem to be attached in any way except for the little tabs at the end of the shaft. For that matter, it doesn't seem like the fixed drive face does anything either!!! The bike runs fine. I have only run it in the driveway but the drive face is free wheeling and doesn't seem to affect much... Any info would be appreciated.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:25 PM
Trailblazer

I had one of these a few years ago, never really took it apart because it ran fine for the short time I had it. Are you missing a part thats causing the drive face to rub like that?

Old 07-31-2011, 09:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just answered part of my own question. I now can tell this is the other side of the primary pulley (basically)... As far as I can tell, I am not missing any parts. I do have the fixed drive face off now and it appears that this part is supposed to fit on the spline of the shaft. The whole is completely worn round and then some.

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...1/IMAG0199.jpg

Old 07-31-2011, 09:17 PM
Trailblazer

Ouch, estimate on how much thats gonna cost?

Old 08-01-2011, 08:27 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

About 90 bucks. The fixxed face is the most expensive part of the clutchs.
It must have come loose at some point in time. Hopefully the splines on the crankshaft are fine.
I didn't see the umbrella washer behind the nut (altho it may be there).

Old 08-01-2011, 09:59 AM
Trailblazer

Thats not quite as bad I thought it was going to be.

Well he was still moving so thats a good sign that the splines aren't too bad, hopefully they still look pretty.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

After taking the cover off my other LT80 I noticed there is a large washer behind the fixed drive face. The washer was missing on my LT80 that was having issues. Probably the previous owner replaced the belt and forgot to install the washer... That would give the whole assembly about an 1/8 inch of play!!!

Old 08-01-2011, 11:13 PM
Trailblazer

Yea you really have to watch it with stuff like this. Some people just don't know what their doing, or are careless.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:02 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by manybikes
After taking the cover off my other LT80 I noticed there is a large washer behind the fixed drive face. The washer was missing on my LT80 that was having issues. Probably the previous owner replaced the belt and forgot to install the washer... That would give the whole assembly about an 1/8 inch of play!!!
UNLESS,,,, it's a older LT80. The early LT's didn't use the washer but a longer spacer bushing.
I was talking about the spring/umbrella washer that holds the nut tight.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:03 AM
Weekend Warrior
Question Lt80

I'm having very similar issues with mine.. i have a 1998 lt80 quadsport. did fixing the fixed drive face fix your problem?

Quick Reply: LT80 - Fixed Drive Face