Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Stock Vinson just added 2 in snorkel (help)

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 03:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Vinson just added 2 in snorkel (help)

I have an 02 500 VINSON its stock other than a UNA filter and i pulled the spark arrestor out. I built a 2 in snorkle from the box out through the top all solid. Right now i have a cap with about a 3/4 hole in it and it seems to be close I havnt rode it yet but my question is without jetting it can you play with the fuel screw enough to make it run with the snorkel open right now with it wide open it idles great but boggs terribly under power.. I have not adjusted the carb at all.. someone take me to school please, thanks

Old 09-19-2011, 06:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

come on guys i know somone has imput

Old 09-20-2011, 12:53 PM
Trailblazer

Sounds like your snorkel pipes are too small in diameter.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

well the snorkle is 2 in. but its capped off with about a 3/4- 1in. hole in the middle and 3-4 smaller holes drilled around it. i was just drilling hole by hole making passes, i guess i can try 1 more.. so what im getting from ya is i shouldnt have to make much adjustment in the carb without and exhaust and just a snorkel? thanks alot

Old 09-20-2011, 06:52 PM
Trailblazer

I didn't catch in your first post but I think I know what's wrong with your setup...you pulled the spark arrestor out. That needs to go back in, you need back pressure to make power.......

Old 09-30-2011, 10:43 PM
No Ruts, No Glory

am not sure what you mean by saying the snorkle is "out through the top"....but will give my answer based on a typical snorkle setup that goes from the airbox to a location near the front rack.

Even with 2" system, the bends in the tubing are restricting the airflow to where your jetting is WAAAAY too rich...far more than any screw adjustments will fix.

Don't understand what you mean by saying it has a 3/4" hole in the cap.....did you really restrict the airflow down to a 3/4" hole? Where did that idea come from? Even with several holes, the airflow will still be so restricted it will never work even with a rejet.

remove the cap/hole mess and replace with smooth bore 2" tubing....and do not cap it unless you are washing it. Better yet, remove the 2" and use 3" tubing.

take a trip to the dealer and get the next two smaller sizes of main jets. Install the next smaller size and see how she runs.

DO reinstall the spark arrester....not because of the back pressure, but because it is damned irresponsible to ride without one...taking the risk of burning down the forest just to make more noise is not going to endear you to anyone...including property owners, park rangers and other riders

Old 09-30-2011, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider

Ok I have the same setup, if you left the stock airbox and airfilter you will need to do nothing as far as jetting it. But you will need to adjust the idle air mixture and move the need up one notch. Should be perfect.

O you can throw the spark arrester away because if it ever gets any mud on it, it will be stopped up completely.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by HMT Racing
Ok I have the same setup, if you left the stock airbox and airfilter you will need to do nothing as far as jetting it. But you will need to adjust the idle air mixture and move the need up one notch. Should be perfect.

O you can throw the spark arrester away because if it ever gets any mud on it, it will be stopped up completely.
O yea also throw that 3/4" restrictor away, let it be 2" all the way. Plenty of air for the vinny.