Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

05 king quad keeps shutting off from a splash of water

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 07:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 king quad keeps shutting off from a splash of water

Quad is a 2005 king quad 700... All stock except for vampire tires and a warn winch...

First off I put a new plug and air filter in yesterday, all went well... *So I'm riding today and in a mud hole / trench and I'm in 4x4 locked up moving along and it seems like high gear is real laggy... *So it's *about 3/4 the way through and cross a spot that slings me to the right and up the wall a little so I stop and am about to back up and the quad dies. At this point the whole left side of my quad is under water lol almost to the air box and it's at a 45degree angle... I'm stuck, and the quad won't start. So my friend I'm Riding with pulls me out... Quad doesn't want to start.. Turns over and over and over... Finally starts...put it in gear and dies instantly when I go to hit the gas... Does this for about 15 mins. So I let it run for out ten mins and seems to let me drive off. On we go... Go to another spot half as deep, no need for 4x4 and again it cuts out after like a foot of driving in the water. I kind of dove it but the radiator wasn't even under when it died... The whole time I feel like high gear is sluggish so I try out low... Strong as always... Seemed a little better in the water but would still die if I dove fast and splashed up the front... Now I'm sure there is no way the water is in the air box when I do this cause frankly I'm not deep at all...

Needless to say my riding experience went way different for the rest of the day because I couldn't really attempt any holes that even needed 4x4... *

Any ideas?

Old 07-30-2012, 05:57 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

not sure if it is water related or not, but i'm curious, put the quad on an incline in different positions(nose first, side ways to left and right, rearward, at an angle to the 4 corners), not in the water, and see if it dies there. it could be something fuel related on the float. just a thought because to me, if it was water related on your coil wire, then it'd take a while to dry out and refire. just a test, it can't hurt nothing!

Old 07-30-2012, 09:48 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Water is getting into your spark plug boot. Fill the spark plug boot with dielectric grease and you should be goo to go. My 05 did the same thing and that is how I cured it.