Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Looking at a King Quad

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 04:13 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at a King Quad

Hey everyone I just joined today. I just sold a Honda XR400 and I'm going to buy a utility quad. I only have about $1500 so my options are limited, but I still want to find something half decent that I will enjoy. I've found a few Honda 300 4x4's which seem to be very popular, but 20 year old models are going for $2000 here.

Anyway, I can across a 2000 King Quad 300 4x4. I'm going to look at it tomorrow. I'm not into going fast or jumping or any of that, I just want to go ride the trails and play in he mud a little. Are these quads pretty reliable? I know it's old, but it looks nice in the pictures and has been stored inside. The owner said he bought it from the original owner for hunting and it hasn't been used much at all since 2006. He said he also has all of the paperwork, and manuals to go with it. I has a new battery and I believe fairly new tires. I talked him down to $1300. It also has a winch on it. I like these quads because of the diff lock, selectable 4 wheel drive, and the 3 speed sub trans seems like it would come in handy.

Just wanted some opinions on whether or not these are good machines. There is t a whole lot of information about them out there.

I apologize for any spelling errors, I'm on an iPhone.

Thanks,
Joey

Old 10-31-2012, 04:56 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The have been out for years,if its in decent shape and every thing works they are a tuff reliable ATV. A few guys in our fishing group have them.

Like you say they even have some good options, IRS,Low and super low Range,Diff lockers.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:35 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I think the IRS on them is a little funky, but I don't care. I just want a machine that can do a little bit of everything. I mostly will just use it for fun, but I do like deer hunting and that would be nice to be able to haul a deer out of the woods. Also, one of the funnest things to me was going out in the woods and making our own trails, so I was thinking the low gearing would be beneficial for dragging logs and stuff.

As long as it's a reliable quad and I can have some fun it will be just fine for me. I guess if it's not I could just keep it for a year or two until I have a little more money and upgrade. We just had our second child, so there's not a lot of extra money for "toys." I do remember back around 1998 or so my friends grandfather had an Arctic Cat 300 2 wheel drive. It seemed like it had enough power, but what I remember most was that super-low range.

Thanks again,
Joey

Old 10-31-2012, 11:16 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by JFortner5
Hey everyone I just joined today. I just sold a Honda XR400 and I'm going to buy a utility quad. I only have about $1500 so my options are limited, but I still want to find something half decent that I will enjoy. I've found a few Honda 300 4x4's which seem to be very popular, but 20 year old models are going for $2000 here.

Anyway, I can across a 2000 King Quad 300 4x4. I'm going to look at it tomorrow. I'm not into going fast or jumping or any of that, I just want to go ride the trails and play in he mud a little. Are these quads pretty reliable? I know it's old, but it looks nice in the pictures and has been stored inside. The owner said he bought it from the original owner for hunting and it hasn't been used much at all since 2006. He said he also has all of the paperwork, and manuals to go with it. I has a new battery and I believe fairly new tires. I talked him down to $1300. It also has a winch on it. I like these quads because of the diff lock, selectable 4 wheel drive, and the 3 speed sub trans seems like it would come in handy.

Just wanted some opinions on whether or not these are good machines. There is t a whole lot of information about them out there.

Thanks,
Joey

Best utility quad ever! I just did a review on it here http://forums.atvconnection.com/suzu...help-1181.html

The problems are the petcock, carb, fuel pump, and regulator. I don't call something bulletproof unless its not likely to leave you stranded somewhere. And the king has 2 rubber diaphrams that could give out at any time. I would work around those and clean the fuel pump. After that, verify the regulator is good. Once that is done, yeah its probably bulletproof.

The honda 300 is ok, but it doesn't have a diff lock at all. Its full time 4x4. Really nothing special can be said of it. Guy across the st has one.

Get the king. You won't regret it. If it runs good and looks nice, its worth $1300.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:29 AM
Trailblazer

Another option I have is a 99 big bear 350 4x4, but I kind if have my heart set on the Suzuki. We'll see, I can't see the KQ until tomorrow afternoon now.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:56 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JFortner5

Thanks,
Joey
honestly- you won't find a better 4x4 atv for your price range. my neighbor has the same exact one- he's a hunter and he's on it at least 5-6 times a week just trolling around the local trails.
it's a pretty solid atv- built pretty tough. has high, low and super low range gearing- no rear drive shaft to deal with as the motor, tranny & rear are all one unit- just a drive shaft connecting the front diff to the tranny.

I've known him for 12 years and iin that time- he's had to replace one driveshaft seal, the starter (was his fault) and he ditched the rear brake drums because they were prone to seizing up and collecting junk in the drums (common issue)... but for an atv that gets used on a daily basis- those issues ain't nothing to deal with.
I'd chose it before the yamaha for sure.

I also had a honda 300- was okay but, pretty annoying having it in 4x4 all the time unless you had a warn 4x4 disconnect like I had- which puts it into 2x4 for casual trail riding.
it was way under powered also, but than again, I had 28" tires on it. here are a few pics of my 300...

I actually got stuck in this hole and had to winch out-

Old 11-01-2012, 09:12 AM
Trailblazer

Nice Honda, that thing is clean.

Well that sounds like what I need to know. I'm not too sure about the big bear. When I saw it listed at $1500 I got excited, but after a little research I found that it shares the same things I didn't care for about the Honda.

I think the KQ is the best ill be able to find and I'm sure it will do everything I need anyway.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:18 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

thanks- I'm meticulous about keeping my atv's clean. I hate working on and starting a new ride on a filthy atv. Keep things well oiled and clean and your atv will last a long time

Old 11-01-2012, 09:47 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I forgot the KQ had selectable 2wd as well.

If it does come down to the Big Bear and 300 Honda I would get the Big Bear if there in the same condition and price. I had a 350 Big Bear for 10 years and it was super reliable and a work horse. Sold it to a friend 5 years ago who still rides with us. Mine was a 1989 .

The Honda 300 not only has a smaller motor but also a smaller chassis ,less Ground clearance ,no front disc brakes, smaller front tires and less suspension travel.
The 350 Big Bear is more comparable to the Honda 350 Rancher which replaced the 300.

1999 Yamaha Big Bear ATVs

Both have full time 3wd and no low range, but the 350 is geared on the low side with a super low 1st gear. My olde Big Bear did have a low range sub tranny but Yamaha dropped that to save money I quess.
Both other ATVs will not out pull the KQ when its in low or supper low range with diff lock on,thats for sure.
Out of the 3 ATVs the 300KQ was a much more exspensive for a reason when they where all on the show room floor.

Beergut, You had 28" tires on a 282cc 4x4! LOL

Old 11-01-2012, 10:29 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

Originally Posted by TLC

Beergut, You had 28" tires on a 282cc 4x4! LOL

hehe.
yeah- it was a sled. I wanted more GC- and as you know, with a sra, bigger tires is the only way to get that GC up

Quick Reply: Looking at a King Quad