Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

1995 suzuki 250 quadrunner starting question..

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 10:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 suzuki 250 quadrunner starting question..

Hi,
I am new to this forum, but just purchased my first ATV, a 95 250 quadrunner from my father- in- law. He was upgrading, so I got his first ATV. I love it, but it has a mechanical issue I was wondering about.
When I go to start the motor, I push the electric start and it keeps trying to turn over, but doesn't. Only when I pump the gas REALLY fast with my thumb, does she show signs of life and finally starts. Of course after doing this there is the faint smell of gasoline in the air. And If I leave her idling for too long, she'll die. I was wondering if anyone had some insight into what I might need to do to her to correct this problem. Thanks again for any help ya'll can give.

John

Old 11-04-2012, 10:55 PM
Elite Pro Rider

The battery could be weak. If it is, you better check the regulator too. Also, if the petcock has "run, reserve, and prime" on it, then the diaphragm inside the petcock could be broken and dumping gas straight into the intake. If it is, its a simple fix to just plug the vacuum lines at the petcock and the carb, then set the petcock to "prime". Its a pretty common problem with those quads.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for reply...the battery is fine....it just takes a whille to start up, unless I pump real fast on the gas. Sorry, but when you say plug the lines, what exactly do you mean? It sounds like the engine initially starves for gas till it gets going...then if I stop riding it and leave in running for a minuet or so, it dies.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:38 PM
Elite Pro Rider

But you said "I push the electric start and it keeps trying to turn over, but doesn't". If it doesn't turn over, either the battery is weak or the starter is weak or something is in the engine that's not compressable (ie gas). You said there is a smell of gas in the air too.

What you're describing now sounds like it might be a plugged pilot jet in the carb.

Plug the vacuum lines by threading a bolt into the hose.

Pumping on the gas doesn't do anything other than open a metal flap in the carb. It doesn't squirt gas or anything significant. By opening that flap, you're letting more air into the engine. Not gas. Actually the best way to start a flooded engine is to hold the throttle wide open and run the starter.

First though, tell me if your petcock has the word "prime" on it. If it does, put the petcock in the "on" or "reserve" selection and pull the gas line off the petcock. Does gas come out? It shouldn't. Now pull the vacuum line off. Does gas come out? It definitely shouldn't.