Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

KING QUAD MODIFICATIONS

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2001, 06:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I disagree Bill. It's up to the owner if they can determine a difference in power after the kit and pipe are installed. Some may be very disappointed while others, like myself, feel it was a rewarding experience to punch the "LITTLE" 280cc and feel a better acceleration. You, on the other hand don't like your kit on the Polaris. I have no idea what your Polaris was like before the kit went on but I'm sure, Polaris, built that quad with all the power you'll ever get out of it, short of boring it out to what ever you plan. Oh, you're not planning to bore, are you?
I've gotta go outside to wash my tires so I can hug 'em now...
Chuck

Old 03-27-2001, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider

Now as a owner of a king with different tires on it I belive I could shed a bit of light on the situation. now I put a set of vamps (stock size) and As much as I love these tires they did suck to life out of the motor. Now I havent put a pipe on mine and Im not sure if I will, but I gotta tell ya Id hate to make my quad any louder then it already is. I did however put a k&n air filter on it. Now I cant really tell ya but I belive that it has helped let it beath a bit easyer. In my mind the tires was a better use of my money at this time. Since I usually can be found playing in the mud , getting out of the mud is where im going to spend the money. I really hated the stock tires that were on the king, and they make a lousy mud tire, but they were a ok all around trail tire. So everyones needs are differnt and all you can do is to try to help another chose what COULD work better for them. But all in all Chuck and Bill you two make for good reading. Rob

Old 03-27-2001, 09:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

I SEEM TO BE GETTING SOME VARIED OPINIONS, BILL YOU SAID THAT YOU RIDE AT THE MOUNDS. I HAVE HEARD ABOUT THE MOUNDS AND WOULD LIKE TO MAKE A TRIP THERE SOON. ONE THING THAT WOULD DIFFENETLY HELP MY DECISION IS THE NOISE ISSUE AT THE MOUNDS. I HEARD THAT THEY CHECK THE EXHAUST NOISE BEFORE YOU MAY GET IN TO RIDE. IF I DID PUT THE PIPE ON THE KQ WOULD THEY NOT ALLOW ME IN TO RIDE. HE TOUGH IS IT TO GET IN AND DO YOU THINK I WOULD HAVE A PROBLEM? DOES YOUR BROTHER HAVE A PIPE AND DOES HE GET IN O.K. ONCE AGAIN THANK YOU GENTLEMEN....

Old 03-28-2001, 06:27 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chuck,
[my very loveable and super friend]

Where did you get the idea I did'nt like the pipe on the Xplorer?I did say that I EXPECTED a little more performance out of it but never said I did'nt like it.

And what makes you think that Polaris maxed out the powerband on the Xplorer,short of boring it out?That statement could'nt be further from the truth.A pipe on an Xplorer makes a HUGE differance.[2 stroke engine]Lets factor this in,

With my stock pipe I raced my friend on his 300ex,he beat me by about 3 quad lenghts to around 45mph,NOW,with my new pipe we re-raced.I now am starting to leave the 300ex at around 40 mph.So as you can see,with my test,I have gained at least a 3 quad length in speed up to 40mph with my new pipe.While this test is far from perfect,its a MUCH more accurate way of finding performance gains than your seat of the pants test.

Remember[us older guys] when we were kids,our first car or truck?Remember the glass packs we would install on our exaust so we could sound real COOL and TOUGH?Sure sounded like we were going ALOT faster than with the stock exaust,but in REALITY, there was very little if any gain in power.My fear is that is whats happening with the King Quad and a pipe.GIVE ME SOME REAL LIFE TEST RESULTS!I dont favor real well with ''it sure FEELS faster''

Robh,
Chuck and I have been friends for a long time and trust me,we are not arguing about this.He and I are just having a disagreement on where the money should have been spent first,tires or pipe?And to be honest with you,its Chucks hard earned $$ and he is free to do as he pleases and as allways,I wish him the best.I can only be here to guide him with my many yrs [since 1986]experience with KQs.

I have been around KQs since late 1986,they were than called a Quad Runner and had exactly the same features as todays model KQs,except the engine was even smaller back than,it was 250cc instead of the 280cc they use today.Dont worry about me and Chuck,we're COOL!

OOKing,
In Michigan,you must for your model KQ, keep your noise level below 94db.Any quad manufactured before Jan of 1986 should be below 99db.Any yr quad MUST have a spark arrester to legally ride in Michigan to.

The Mounds WILL check your ATV sound level,you WILL be turned away if you exceed the sound level.Ecorman has his 99 King piped,it has ALLWAYS passed the sound test.

Dont waste your time or money going to the Mounds until AFTER May 15th.Currently under court order,only 10 acres of the total 200 acres is open for riding.Not even worth your time or effort.I know more about the Mounds than the mosquitoes that live there.I have been riding it for a very long time and am also the ASI safety instructor for that area.I ride Gladwin ALOT and I'd be glad to have you ride it with my group anytime you want.

Now before you make your decision on piping your King,why dont you and Ecorman race once and see how badly he beats you?Than,based on the race results,you could than decide if the pipe is really worth the extra $$ and I could than either eat crow from Chuck for all the BS I been giving him on his pipe,or I can RAZZ the hell out of him and tell him how right I was?Good Idea?What cha think?
Bill

Old 03-28-2001, 05:30 PM
Range Rover

Bill,

It sounds like it is going to be a lot of fun riding the H-M trails with you the first weekend in May. I know I am looking forward to it.

Old 03-28-2001, 07:27 PM
Pro Rider

Eric,
your are very right,we are going to have a BLAST.Chuck and I talked for a half hr last night about the trip.I cant wait.
Bill

Old 03-29-2001, 06:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

BILL, RIDING WITH YOU AND YOUR GROUP SOUNDS GREAT. I THINK IT WOULD BE ALOT OF FUN, WE WILL HAVE TO GET TOGETHER AND DO THAT. YOU SAY DON'T WASTE MY TIME AND MONEY ON THE MOUNDS UNTILL MAY, WILL THEY OPEN UP THE REST OF IT TO RIDE ON AT THAT TIME? THANKS

Old 03-29-2001, 11:09 AM
Range Rover

Bill,

Chuck and I may be fighting for second behind you, but that should be comforting to you, knowing someone will be there to pull you out when you get stuck (grin).

Old 03-29-2001, 01:57 PM
Pro Rider

00KING,
yes that is correct,on May 15th,the entire 200 acres is open for all types of ORVs.

Eric,
actually,it really is very comforting knowing that any 4x4 ATV is there in case I get stuck.With my set-up[mudders],it aint real easy to pull this moose out when he gets buried.LOL,
Bill

Old 03-29-2001, 11:35 PM
Range Rover

Are we talking about pulling out the quad or the rider (grin)?

Quick Reply: KING QUAD MODIFICATIONS