Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Eiger problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 10:44 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The crankcase hose ducts into the large rubber grommet at the air box. This grommet also has the large hose that runs from the air box to the carb. I took it off to see if that made a difference and it did not. The bike starts first flip and will idle all day long. The compression is around 125# but it starts and idles so good i don't see this as being an issue. As I said if I throttle it relatively slowly it will rev up but if I throttle quickly off the start it will die instantly.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Ok thats sounds ok.....I went back an read all of the post.....But I didnt see history on your quad...Did you buy this quad new? Did you buy it used an was doing this? If not what was you doing when quad started running like this? Did you changed exhaust? Thanks for understanding question But were are just trying to help understand this atv history.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry the bike is not mine however I do know the bike. I know the original owner who bought it brand new and it is now with the second owner who I also know and am trying to fix the bike for him. The bike is 100% stock and was working great with no problems until about a month ago the current owner was driving it on the trail and it quit on him. he had it towed in and it restarted but would not rev up. He took the carb apart and found a piece of dirt in it, cleaned it out and put it back together but it hasnt run right since.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:02 PM
Pro Rider

You have replaced spark plug right? Do you have an peak voltage teser for ignition system? Have you used an automovtive timing light on flywheel timing marks to see if igntion is advancing when your rev up engine....Have replace plug resistor or read ohms on it? Have you replaced coil from another unit?I had an honda the other day that had an bad stumble on hard acceleration. an would die....Im just throw afew thing out there...Please understand....

Old 01-13-2013, 09:02 PM
Pro Rider

Oh yeah what was your compression reading?

Old 01-14-2013, 06:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

compression is 120+ lbs which is a little low but I don't see that as being the problem since it starts and ha run so good. The spark pllug has been changed. I do not have a peak voltage tester and i have not tried an automotive timing light. I have not had another coil to try yet

Old 01-17-2013, 11:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok the latest in this ongoing saga is as follows. The bike starts and idles perfectly. It will rev up if I throttle it slowly or partially restrict the airflow into the carb which to my way of thinking it is running to lean. I have adjusted the pilot air screw in 1/4 turn increments out to 4 turns with no improvement to throttle response. Does anyone know what the correct number of turns out should be or does anyone know how to make this thing run richer.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Here's my go but PapaHS is more current for settings and troubleshooting.
Pilot is 2 1/4 turns. But it sounds more like the main jet and do you know if the needle has settings notches? This could be a way to enrichen your carb. Do you have the Service repair manual?
When you did your compression check did you make sure it was done with a warm engine?

Norm

Old 01-17-2013, 06:16 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Old 01-17-2013, 06:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes what is on TLC post is what I did also, bought a dynajet kit and set it on third notch and put a #126 main jet. The Eiger has beborn and better.Of course everything else was in order also.

Norm

Quick Reply: Eiger problem