Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Eiger problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

RM..I wish there was an set and go pilot settings...2 1\4 is just an setting to use until atv gets normal temp b4 the final settings..Run atv bout 10 mins ride time...Tn adj. mixture at idle speed.turn pilot screw out 1\4 turn at an time until engine speeds up then readjust idles stop screw to the recommend rpm by factory then continue your adjusting out 1\4 turn at an time until engine starts idling rough,[you will have the smooth idle again while doing this next one],, then turn mixture screw clockwise back in until idle speed starts dropping...NOW from this point turn screw out one full turn out[counterclockwise] then this willbe your perferred pilot mixture...Then bump throttle up bout half throttle an listen for an crisp throttle return to idle...If throttle drops like an feather falling then carb has some blockage or wrong jets or wrong needle jet position...Should always have an crisp throttle drop..NO feather drops to idle...Good Luck...PS most of the time after doing this final setting is around 3 1\4 to 3 1\2....But if you have to go 4 or more full turn then carb has problems...

Old 01-21-2013, 11:48 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Renegade Man
Hello, I am new to this forum and I am hoping someone can help me with an Eiger problem. Ihave a 2003 Eiger that starts and idles fine but will not rev up. As soon as you touch the throttle it dies and sometimes backfires. It will rev up if I partially block the air intake at the air box. So far I have done the following: (1) Thoroughly cleaned the carb (6 times) and installed a new carb kit. (2) Installed new valves. (3) Checked valve clearance. (4) Checked timing. (5) Checked flywheel for loose magnets and partially sheared key.(6) Tried a different CDI box. (7) Tried a different Carb. (8) Tried a different gas tank (in case the fuel valve wasn't pumping enough fuel. After all of this it still will only rev up if I partially restrict the air flow and I am getting totally frustrated. Hope someone out there can shine some light on this problem.
Hey, I'm new here and certianly not an expert, but I can't help but think that maybe your REVERSE switch is stuck and the rev limiter is active stopping your engine from revving up. Just a thought.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks to everyone for all your help but I finally seem to have gotten the bike to run ok. All things seemed to indicate that the bike was running lean however with no adjustments on the jet needle I decided to try changing main jets. The bike was stock with a 122 mainjet. I tried a 130 and the bike ran better so I tried a 138 and the bike seems to run fine. Took it out in the field and ran it through its paces and all seemed ok. Again thanks, this is a great site.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:59 PM
Pro Rider

Glad your got going. happy trails now.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:21 PM
Pro Rider

RM....I was confused cause you said you changed complete carb from another quad!!!!Which means main jet was the same on the other quad..I had an 2001 400 arctic cat last week were I had to drill main .005 oversized for the same thing...Seems like suzuki,arctic cat are the worst about leaving main jets to small to lean the emissions standards....Glad you got going...

Old 01-22-2013, 06:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

Also of interest when you changed main jet did you change the needle
as well and if so at what notch was it set?
One last thing I would check the sparkplug after a half tank use if it's have a dark hue which would indicate a tad too rich. The reason I say this to enrichen mixture one has to change main jet and adjust needle.
Did you put a Dynajet kit?

Happy you got it running

Norm

Old 01-22-2013, 06:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

When I changed the main jet I did not change the needle. On the eiger there are no notches on the needle so no adjujstments can be made. I did not use a Dyno jet kit. I have noticed that the machine needs to warm up good to work properly but these bikes are cold blooded anyway.