Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

LT80 will not start and turns slowly

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 12:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT80 will not start and turns slowly

Hello,

I just a 99 LT80 and it had been sitting for a while because the gas was horrible. It would not start nor would gas come out of the tank. I drained the tank and cleaned the gunk out of the valve. Fuel started coming from the tank and I was able to start it. It was running great, some white smoke coming out and idling good. Do not know if it should smoke?? I even let my kid ride it twice and I jumped on it a few times. Well, I went to put it up and it stopped and would not start. I tried to start it and it spun fast and never did fire and then it start turning slow and finally clicking. I found the breaker, and it trips again and the relay wires get hot. Here are the things I have tried

1. Thought it was flooded so I turned it on its tail to try and drain
2. New plug
3. checked the pump to see if oil was coming out at the carb from the oil under the seat
4. tried starting straight from the starter(still turns kinda slow and the negative wire get hot on the battery)
5. tried starting fluid(nothing)
6. I opened the carb but all looked good, I probably could completely break it down

Looks like the plug is getting spark. I think the starter is shot and needs to be replaced so I am going to buy a pull starter for now.

I have read everything on different forums and have come down to either

1. Low compression which I have not tested
2. Crank seal
3. CDI needs to be replaced

Thanks for the help

Old 05-29-2017, 03:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Welcome to the forums.
IMO: Clean the carb good (removing both jets/float needle/etc) and see how it goes.
Then I'd do a compression test.
Make sure you use the cork gasket from the cover on the pull start.
The CDI's don't go out on these often.

Old 05-29-2017, 04:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Cool on the CDI! I has a very faint spark but I could not remember if the spark should be more prominent since I have not trouble shooted a spark issue in a longggg time.

I have removed all the needles and floats and cleaning a little more. All still seems good but it does not hurt.

Going to get a compression tester now and will see what it return hopefully good compression.

Thanks

Old 05-29-2017, 05:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

So I just check the compression and it came to a big 0 . I tested the compression tester on my compressor and it matched the pressure in my compressor so, looks like I am going to be needing a new piston and rings or the crank seal I have read about that sucks. It was running so good I thought.

Would not having the carb and the side cover off cause any loss in pressure and not give a proper reading?

Also I am able to spin the gear with my fingers easily where the side cover is at. Would this be a good indication of lack of pressure?

Old 05-29-2017, 09:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok I think I found out why I have 0 compression. The top gasket on the head is leaking. If you turn the gear on the compression stroke you can hear and feel air escaping from the head on the left side of the engine. Plus there is a little bit of oil at the bottom of the head. This should be an easy fix.

Old 05-30-2017, 11:10 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are the 4 head bolts torqued properly...75 - 100 in/lb if I recall (6-8 ft/lb)???

Old 05-30-2017, 12:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

I did not even check. I will check when I get home

Old 05-30-2017, 01:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

let us know...

Old 05-30-2017, 05:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by DirtDevil101
let us know...
Yep all bolts loose. I bet when I got it the gasket was already blown since the bolts were loose. Plus the gasket had a good deal of black soot where the issue was at. This did not fix it because of the damage on the gasket. Thanks for the suggestion

Old 05-31-2017, 08:48 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Guess that explains that eh..