Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

New to Me 87 LT250R

Old 05-25-2018, 08:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Me 87 LT250R

Just picked up a LT250R quadracer off a good buddy who has had it sitting on the side of the garage for last 3 years or so, not running.

Got it at the house today, changed the case oil, freshened up the gas, and fired it up just to see what would happen. Honestly it fired first kick, ran for a few seconds, died, then a huge pain to start. I was able to pop start it and got it running "ok". The idle would occasionally rise and run away on me. But for the most part it stayed running.

I was going to rebuild or replace the carb, and was talking to a mutual buddy who knew some of the back story about this quad, and he says this 87 has been fitted with a 330 kit. So im concerned to just rebuild with stock jets etc or just replace it, Im decent with injection, but carbs for some reason alude me. without my wideband and fuel tables my tuning abilities are.. poor.

I plan to just start by pulling the carb off and giving it a good cleaning. 3 years with petcock left open and no gas left in tank, im guessing it slowly drained itself through the carb. Hopefully its all sticky and gunked up and only needs some gaskets from breaking it open.

But I wanted to ask the community.. What else should i be looking at/over on this thing. I was told the front tie rods and suspension were gone through already, and the front master was rebuilt (Feels soft, im thinking needs a bleed)

So if my carb abilities are bad, my knowledge on 2 strokes are even worse. Any advise you can give to a beginner is greatly appreciated. All i know is i prefer riding a 2 stroke by about 450 times! that powerband is addicting. and the power this quad has is AMAZING. riding up to the top end of second and my front end was lifting up under hard acceleration, and im a big boy.

Thanks in advance for any help!