Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

05 kq 700 intermmitently quits on us

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 07:08 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AndrewPike
Question, I’m having similar problems, if you check your fuel pressure, just key on, does it hold after the relay kicks out or slowly drop down?
mine holds about 38 psi, has 44 while pump is running. does your pressure gauge fluctuate while bike is idling?? I swear mine didn't the first time I tested but now it does. i'm also very forgetful....

Old 01-24-2019, 07:25 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by merryman
We did once fit a new TPS on a 700 as we couldn't get the three C--- marks right on tickover. Not entirely sure it was the TPS but it ran better afterwards. Also had a faulty engine temp sensor, it put up the FI warning light on a 450, ran like crap so we fitted a new sensor and still got the warning. Turned out to be the wire broken where it went into the plug on top of the sensor. After that we got quite a few the same, the wire couldn't stand the shaking it gets as the engine moves in those soft mountings, but that was sending a fault code. I have also had throttle body butterfly spindles stick, not on 450 to 750 but on the 400KQ which has a different fuel injection system. If you take the cover off the cable quadrant, you can check if it drops back onto the stop when you throttle back. It was the spindle sticky, not the TPS on these 400s.
will check connections and test all sensors this weekend. will also look at that throttle body even though mine is adjusted properly it just seems to intermittently stick, having a hard time figuring this one out. thinking its not a fuel issue for sure myself but not ruling out any suggestions

Old 01-24-2019, 07:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes my pressure fluctuates pretty noticeably while idling. Only a few psi tho

Old 01-27-2019, 07:34 PM
Trailblazer

good news! the old king is back up and running better than ever. the TPS was the culprit for us.

when double checking the adjustment I noticed that it would still intermittently stay high when throttle was released. got the multimeter out and got to work. I confirmed what I was seeing, both throttle open and throttle closed resistance specs were a little high and sometimes it would stay as high as 2.3k ohms when throttle released. bit the bullet and got the part from the dealer and installed, fired right up and ran perfect, rode it without plastics with positive results, threw the plastics on and went and played in the snow. so far so good!

changed the spark plug while front fender was off. was certainly carbon fouled and had been running rich.

looks like one of our many projects for this winter is complete aside from changing her fluids.

anyone with similar issues should read both this thread and this link : https://www.suzukiatvforums.com/foru...ng-thread.html

thanks for the help guys.