Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Lt80 2005 seized?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2020, 11:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lt80 2005 seized?

I bought a 2005 lt80 off a friend. His son was riding it and it just died, wouldn't restart. He figures it is seized. He haven't done anything with it since. He parked it and got his son a bigger quad.

How do I check if it is seized? I have read alot on these and from what i can come up with you can check from pulling the cover where the pull start should be? It could also be the fan binding up? Where is the best place to start to see what the problem is. Any info and steps on how to check would be great.

Thanks

Old 03-19-2020, 03:47 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 306 Likes on 300 Posts

Yes, either take the fan cowl off or that pull start blank and see if you can turn the crank by hand. However if the float needle sticks, it can fill the cylinder with fuel, locking the engine, your "seizure" may be as simple to rectify as taking the plug out and letting the fuel shoot out of the plug hole. Be careful when doing this though I have set two on fire as a stray ignition spark ignited the fuel. I now disconnect the CDI first.

Old 03-19-2020, 10:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Since I just picked it up should I check those things before I try to start it. Obviously change the gas as it has been sitting a few years

Old 03-20-2020, 04:28 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Not sure what you mean by "those things" but I would fit a new battery, take the plug out and check the cylinder isn't full of fuel before anything else. If it does spin over on the starter, check for a spark. Then put in fresh fuel and see if it starts. It is always a bit of a question if it has been converted to fuel oil mix or is still on the pumped oil system, to be sure, I always use a small quantity of fuel/oil mix for a start and remove the oil line to the carb, once running, you can check if the oil line is dribbling oil, if it is, re-connect, fill the fuel tank with neat fuel and the oil tank with 2 stroke oil. If it isn't, you know you will have to use fuel/oil mix in the fuel tank, 30 to 1 is about right. When you first start a Suzuki after the tank has been emptied, you put the tap on prime, once running put it on run and do not use prime again unless you run out of fuel. Never leave it on prime overnight, or you are liable to get the cylinder full of fuel problem.

Old 03-20-2020, 09:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry I ment should I check if its seized , check the fan ect.

what's the easiest way to drain the gas and the oil . I want to change that oil as I dont know what they put in it. Thanks for all the help!

Old 03-20-2020, 04:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Pulled the plug and no fuel in the top of the piston. Also was able to move the crank gear and the belt turned. It faintly made a noise when I pushed the start button. Not sure if the battery is fully charged. I believe it is though.if I hold it down it will click the reset button on the rear. Also the petcock valve is stuck pri position.

Old 03-20-2020, 06:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

The starter was making a growling noise , wont turn over fast at all then pops the breaker on the back. I pulled the starter and bench tested it. It turns over but slow, not as fast as one would think. I'm guessing others turn over quite quickly? Are the after market ones good or junk? The dealer wants a lot for one around here

Old 03-21-2020, 03:42 AM
Elite Pro Rider

We use aftermarket starters (Arrowhead I think) and they have been OK. I have bought cheapo Chinese fuel taps for LT80s and they are strange, the run/pri/res markings are wrong and the pipe fitting a little small for the pipe, but they do work. Jack(LT80) recommends using a normal on/of tap instead, fine as long as you remember to turn off when not using the bike and plug the vac line to the intake manifold. Somewhere on here I have seen that a Yamaha tap fits (Banshee? Blaster?) Drain the tank via the fuel line to the carb, and drain the carb via the screw in the bottom of the float bowl, I wouldn't drain the oil until you know if the pump system is working.

Old 03-22-2020, 12:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

How fast should the starter spin? I'm guessing it need to turn fast to turn over this motor. Also where does everyone in Canada get there parts. The exchange and shipping makes the parts add up fast.

I'm guessing this is a Chinese knock off one?
https://www.totalpartscanada.com/pro...quadsport.html

will they hold up or will I be buying a Suzuki one? Or do people just go to a pull start and be done with it?

Old 03-22-2020, 03:26 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Pull starts seem to be more expensive than electric, and are a bit of an afterthought, like the kick starts on Minarelli engined ATVs. Are you sure your battery is OK, during a long lay up they go flat, and if left flat for a while they don't usually re-charge properly. With electrical spares, Suzuki are extortionists. Firms like Arrowhead, RM and Ricks Stators seem to buy from China and sell to the aftermarket outlets, so you will find suppliers in Canada. The cheapest is usually direct from China, but is slow and quality is unknown, (a higher price is no guarantee of quality).

Quick Reply: Lt80 2005 seized?