Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

LT80 runs fine then randomly bogs down and almost stalls

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2020, 09:36 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So that’s actually the choke all the way down, I thought it seemed odd. It’s a new carb supposedly so I assumed it was a cheap Chinese one and that’s just how it is. I did notice a loose nut under the choke so I hand tightened it. When I pull the carb up it will stall out normally. Did pull the fuel line off earlier but I pulled from the carb and it poured a steady stream. I also raised the back wheels and it appeared to have full power when I did it.

Old 04-27-2020, 08:21 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

After you install the on/off valve, turn it off and let run a lil. When done for the day, shut it off and let the carb run dry. Use non ethanol fuel.
You need to get into the clutchs for cleaning/inspection.

Old 04-27-2020, 09:41 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks I will get into the clutches today and post some pics. Any chance you have a picture of how the on off valve installs? Am I snipping the line and just attaching the ends to the valve and do the same for the filter? This is what you are referring to right?

Old 04-27-2020, 02:36 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes , snip line about 2” off tank,shutoff another 1 1/2”-2” then filter,you might see if you can find one that’s more like a pancake on the filter to save room. Google, Drive works Dw-762 fuel filter from Advance auto.

Last edited by Lt Granddad; 04-27-2020 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 04-27-2020, 02:43 PM
Trailblazer

Will do, thanks. Got the clutch case off to inspect. I’m no mechanic but looks good inside but does have some black debris. Is that normal I’m guessing? Took some pics, not sure if it helps any but based on what you see should I tear down further?

Old 04-27-2020, 06:19 PM
Trailblazer

Take a look at this! Wowza. besides the obvious issue here. How do the rollers look? No flat spots and insides are all in tact. Should I wipe the grease off or leave it on there?

also the third picture shows how the belt was on, it was sitting on that washer is that right?

Old 04-27-2020, 10:23 PM
Range Rover

Belt is fine on the washer, clean all the parts associated with the front clutch make sure no grooves or gauges in roller tracts or cover, use just a dab of grease to to hold rollers in place during reassembly. Excessive grease is bad. Might as well check rear clutch while you’re in there. There is a post in this section about rear clutch disassembly about 8 post back

Old 04-28-2020, 07:26 PM
Trailblazer

Thought I updated, but doesn't look like it posted. After cleaning clutch and reassembling, now it wants to stall as soon as I press the throttle, sometimes stalling when turning the choke off. Got it to go for a minute but quickly just bogged right down. Pulled the fuel line and drained it and saw debris coming out of the fuel line. Just installed the inline shut off and filter. looks a little janky but should do the trick. Gotta be carb related at this point right? Im sure its possible I didnt assemble the clutch properly since it was my first go at it.

Old 04-28-2020, 11:21 PM
Range Rover

Sounds like a carb cleaning is in store if you’re seein debris from fuel line. Plenty of carb cleaner and forced air if available. May check and see what jet is in it while they’re out, factory 92.5 but 90 is preferred if that’s in it It looks a little busy with the extras in the fuel line but worth the headaches saved down the line. While the carb is off may take the reed cage out and inspect the reed petal.

Old 04-29-2020, 08:17 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I started that 90 jet thing. I stopped. Stock is fine.

Quick Reply: LT80 runs fine then randomly bogs down and almost stalls