Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

top speed of a Suzuki King Quad 300?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2001, 03:46 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 93 King Quad with no mods will do 50 mph on a level road. 4th gear would never yield a faster speed than 5th on my machine on a level road.

John

Old 05-22-2001, 06:16 PM
Pro Rider

If you gotta ask, Its prob too slow

Old 05-23-2001, 07:31 PM
Range Rover

mine kq i know for sure doesn't have a rev limiter so i don't know why yours does, mnie kq will go 55 and it is screaming by then and it takes forever, but it will go 55.

Old 05-23-2001, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider

Bill, I understand your problem with the quad not running faster! You admitted, you have no idea how these things work. So I will try to explain so you can understand. Leaner, faster. Richer, torque. Can't have it both ways. On the other hand, two cycle engines improve both due to the high RPM they tend to run. The down side is, rebuild is imminent in less than half the time, for the bee hummer (two cycle engine) which, in my opinion, belongs in snowmobiles and racing quads. Your turn... But I'm not going to spend the rest of the nite trying to tie your shoe for you like others have. :0)
Chuck

Old 05-24-2001, 12:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

Chuck,
I dont have any problem with your quad not running faster,I just dont understand your logic on the jetting and beleive it could be incorrect.No pipe will give you ALL AROUND better performance from bottom to top,but Chuck,NO performance pipe should cause you to loose 9 mph off your top end with the correct jetting either,ESPECIALLY on a 280cc engine.

I too have piped and rejetted 4 cycle engines before,and have never had a 9 mph lose on the top end.I never said that I did'nt understand how the pipe works,what I did say was by adding disks,it seemed like that should make the ATV engine quieter,you said it makes it louder.Ok,thats the part I dont understand!

The bee hummer engine?[2 stroke]
Well you'll have alot of folks disagree with you on that one,you know,you said they belong in snowmobiles and race ATVs?2 stroke engines have ALOT of applications where higher reving engines are needed/desired.
1.Snowmobiles
2.Lawn mowers
3.Weed Whackers
4.Boat motors
5.Leaf blowers
6.Motorcycles/ATVs
7.Utility Xplorer 400cc 4x4 ATVs that desire to be the fastest!ect ect ect?
8.And beleive it or not,there was even a SAAB vehicle that once ran a 2 stroke engine in it?So as you can see,4 strokers are not for everyone either?To each their own!

You mentioned about the half life of a 2 stroke engine in comparison to the 4 stroke?Yah,but the extra performance is worth it to some folks,and see how much money it costs you to rebuild your 4 stroke and compare that to rebuilding a 2 stroke,NO comparison there either and I'll rebuild my 2 stroke in half the time too,
Bill

Old 05-24-2001, 09:28 AM
Pro Rider

I'll take my 4 stroke ATV over a 2 stroke anyday, but I have to comment on this high rev bull. 2 strokes fire once per rev whereas a 4 stroke fires 1 for every 2 revs, therefore a 2 stroke will sound like its reving more but it's not. Just look at average 4 stroke motorcycle redline at 10,000-12000 rpm. My snowmobile revs at 8500rpm & its one of the higher rever's!

Old 05-24-2001, 11:18 AM
Trailblazer

Bill, I have to agree with you on the jetting. If Chuck was running 54 with the pipe, then added a jet kit and only ran 45, I would say that something isn't adjusted right. With the Supertrapp, the more disks you add the more it leans out the mix. Maybe Chuck set his disks for the stock jetting and never added disks after rejetting.

If anyone else has done this mod to the King Quad I would like to hear what their results were.

Old 05-24-2001, 01:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

I did this exact mod, if he is only running a few discs, it is possible he may have lost that much topend, but got a great increase in torque. The less discs = higher backpressure or more torque
more discs = less backpressure or more topend
I am still getting my jetting dialed in just right, was rich to start with now it seems good. I am quite pleased with this setup i also installed a K&N filter.

Old 05-24-2001, 02:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

SXR6,
you stated that 2 strokes fire once every rev and 4 strokes fire 1 per every 2 revs.I beleive that statement to be somewhat incorrect,instead,on a 2 stroke engine,the piston only makes 2 strokes before firing, opposed to 4 strokes before firing on a four stroke engine.And yes,a 2 stroke does indeed make its rpms much quicker than a 4 stroke because of the above.Just thought I'd point that out,
Bill

Old 05-24-2001, 02:27 PM
Range Rover

Chuck's mods make sense to me. Boost the power where you're actually gonna USE the King Quad, lower to mid-range.
John

Quick Reply: top speed of a Suzuki King Quad 300?