Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Quadrunner Cooling Fans

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2001, 07:43 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He said as long as you're willing to pay the shipping to Utah, he'd be glad to order one for you. I'm going to E-mail the name, address and phone number to you.

Old 10-14-2001, 12:57 AM
Pro Rider

Mike,
Thanks for asking. I went to the dealer today and talked to an adult. He found my cooling fan and said that it had been there about a week. He told me the reason that it took so long was that Suzuki had changed the part number. That makes me think that sometime between the time I ordered mine and you ordered yours, Suzuki must have changed the number. My dealer had to resubmit the order with the new number.

Anyway, this evening I started installing it. The instructions look like they were written a few years ago. I have to look to the shop manual to get the front plastic off. They also mention cutting holes in the engine protector screen. Mine had holes already cut.

How is your installation going?

Mark

Old 10-15-2001, 11:58 AM
Trailblazer

Glad to hear that you finally got your fan. I haven't had time to monkey with mine yet other than looking at it in the box. Keep me posted on how your install goes.

Mike

Old 10-16-2001, 03:35 PM
Pro Rider

Mike,
I finiished mine yesterday and took it for an 18 mi. ride up in the mountains. It works great. I was surprised that it came on as often as it did seeing that it was in the 60s. But the times it turned on made sense; like after a long steep fast climb, or real slow rock crawling. BTW, I set the shocks to the softest ride and I think it makes a big difference.

The instructions are for older bikes and are a little outdated. I was shorted one set of plastic ties too. Other than those two things, I guess the install went ok.

A couple of tips:
1. The fan faces the front of the bike, not the engine. It pulls air and doesn't push it. So the air comes out the back of the fan. Makes sense.
2. The cooling fan fuse assembly light doesn't have to be installed for the fan to work. I didn't want to cut a hole in my speedo housing.
3. Removal of the front plastic is required. I had to take the mud flaps off to easily get the plastic off.
4. The plug that has to be removed for the oil temperature sensor has a hex head. There is a rubber plug on top and it has to be removed to get to the hex head.
5. There's a long clear plastic tube attached to the bottom of the fan. The instructions make no mention of it. I assumed it was a vent because there is about 3 ft. of tubing. I ran it up near the steering column.
6. The fan wiring harness has two small leads with male and female connectors at the end. The instructions make no mention of these, but they're the most crucial. One male connector and one female. On my bike (year 2000), the + and - battery terminals have secondary wires that are connected together. Disconnect them and connect each one to the matching fan harness connector. That's where the power comes from. You can hook everthing up according to the instructions and leave those two disconnected and nothing will work. With those two connected properly everything works like a charm. Took me a while to figure it out. I hope it saves you some time.
7. The instructions say to cut holes in the engine protector screen. My screen had holes pre-cut, yours may too.
8. During reassembly, when you install the front rack, do the rear bolts first. You can then line up the holes on the front by using a large screw driver or other level to pull the rack forward so the front holes line up.

That's about all I can think of now. If you have any questions, let me know.
Good luck.
Mark

Old 10-16-2001, 04:39 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the tips Mark, I'll let you know how things go after I get a little time to work on it.