Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

'86 230 Quadsport Clutch re-build

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2001, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend has an '86 230, his clutch needs new plates and springs, I am going to help him re-build it.

I can honestly say I have never fixed a clutch before but we have a repair manual to help us. Can you guys give me a few pointers and tips on re-building a clutch??...I have heard you should dip the new clutch plates in oil so they wont stick...should I do that??
Any tips apprechiated...THANKS[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-29-2001, 11:46 AM
Pro Rider

C'mon someone answer...PLEASE

Old 07-29-2001, 11:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

Not dip, SOAK 'em

I always submerge the friction plates for as long as it takes to disassemble the sidecovers, clutch springs, and old plates.

Doing this will prevent premature clutch failure

I'd suggest stiffer springs, as well[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-29-2001, 03:49 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the tips, more info would be great[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-29-2001, 10:25 PM
Pro Rider

I've put 3 new clutches in my quadsport and believe I know how to do it now. Take the metal plates and scratch them up on a cement block. Soak the fiber ones in oil. First take out the clutch arm then pull off the sidecase. Take out the oil filter sidecase and take that bolt off. Whatever you do don't pull the kickstart shaft assembly out like it say to do. Keep it in the sidecase. Once the sidecase is off unscrew the 5 bolts and pul out the springs and plates. Put the plates and springs in and don't overtightne the springs. Set the half shaft gear to where it will connect with the clutch arm when you put it back in. Put the sidecase back on after you've got all the old gasket off. Install a new gasket without any sealer.Trust me.Put the kickstart up like it would be and gently tap the case on and let the gears mesh. Now put the clutch arm back in. Make sure the seal pops in good to or it will come out and you will hafta take the sidecase off again. If you let the kickstart shaft fall out your messed up. Go by the book. These directions will seem weird until you take the sidecase off. Hope this helps.Lemme know if you need anymore help.

Old 07-29-2001, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider

berm- So we are taking apart the left side of the quad right??, thats all I am wonderin[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Actually we dont have a repair manual, I dont know why I said that we had one...can you scan it or type it up for us bermbanger PLEASE[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img](Just type up the clutch re-building procedures, if you dont have a scanner, thats all)

Old 07-30-2001, 02:48 AM
Trailblazer

you have to take of the side with the kickstarter on it. also...you will more then likely not even need clutch plates..first off..if i were you i would check the clutch hub and pressure plate for wear because 9 out of 10 quadsports that ive come across only needed the clutch hub and pressure plate and not new cutches (mine included) dont buy the parts used...theyre only aluminum and are subject to wear. new cutch hub and pressure plate will run you about 70 dollars. i would still recommend putting in new plates and discs. if you need any more help just IM me MikeBMX81@aol.com

-Mike

Old 07-30-2001, 10:55 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah man I got the manual but not the scanner. If I can't get some1 to scan it for me I'll right it up for you.

Old 07-30-2001, 12:23 PM
Pro Rider

OK I would appreshiate it berm...Thanks[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-01-2001, 12:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

I had to work on mine recently the hub and plate were both worn badly instead of buying new I took a fiber disk out from the back and added a metal plate to the front so now there is no friction occuring on the aluminium I wasnt sure it would work because the aluminium was allready worn but its gone 40+ hours now and still no slipping I think the plates rubbing the aluminum was just poor desighn the clutch hooks up emidiately so if I do buy a new hub and plate I will still do this to prevent them from wearing out rapidly in the future