Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

What is the new zuki gonna be competing with?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2001, 11:52 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In reply to those who think this bike will be heavy...If the specs on the 2002 400EX and the 2003 LTZ 400 are compaired, one would realize that the LTZ is at least 5 pounds lighter than the air-cooled 400EX which lacks reverse.

Old 10-20-2001, 01:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have always been a Honda guy, but I thought this story might be worth passing along. I was planning to build by 400ex to run the GNC series next year, and I gave Tom Carlson at TC Racing (and Doug Gust's DR-Z engine builder) a call. I was going to build a full-tilt ex motor and Tom said he didn't necessarily think that was prudent. He then directed me to this site to check out the Z400. I cannot say for sure how the Z400 will compare to the stock ex (although my guess is that is has 5-7 more hp), but I can relay what Tom told me about hop-up potential.

Full-tilt EX motors put out 48-50hp, and the TC's price tag is $2,200-$2,300. The motors require oil changes every race and they require rebuilds semi-regularly due to excessive heat build up.

Full-tilt Z400 motors put out about 55hp, and TC's price tag is $1,600-$1,700. Tom said when Doug Gust's motor is taken apart, it looks like new. They only change the oil every 3 or 4 races because the engine runs so cool.

Bottom line - the Z400 will runs faster for a lot less money than the ex. Keep in mind this is coming from a guy who knows (and loves) Hondas better than anyone.

The chassis is another issue, and I don't think anyone knows the answer to that. Tom's final words were that in his mind, this was a "no brainer". I promply put a deposit on a Z400 at my local dealer. My decision was supported by the fact that I don't see ANYONE competing in the 250 pro class with ex motors (only DR-Zs and 426s).[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 10-20-2001, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider

Whats it going to compete with ? Probably the marvel called the Lt500 for biggest lemon. Come on guys this really is a joke not to start trouble but the dam thing looks like they stole it out of yamaha's back door and thru there name on it. Bad play to copy someone elses game. Have your own style. Plus Suziki doesn't have the best rep for reliability,

Old 10-21-2001, 01:21 AM
Pro Rider

uhh yeah they do. suzuki is very reliable and people know it. their alot more reliable that your raptor i'll bet. are you jealous that you get beat by LT500s? and are you jealous that your gonna get beat by the new 400 probably? maybe yamaha shouldn't have tuned down the raptor so much and maybe they shouldn't have put so many weak parts on it (axle, a-arms, transmission).

Old 10-21-2001, 01:27 AM
Pro Rider

rraptorr13
Did you get that 2nd gear problem fixed on Yami's little marvel? What about that problem with the carbs? Funny, mine never seems to do that, you must have gotten your fruits confused. I've got a peach.

Old 10-22-2001, 03:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

"My opinion is both an educational and informed interpretation. I have these things called 2 eyes and a brain. Ever hear of those?"

I'm a 21 year old psychology student. My father has been a mechanical engineer for almost 30 years. Under no circumstances would something that queer come out of either of our mouths.

In my opinion Honda will be playing catch up from now on. I posted in the "Z400 cost" topic and I said the exact same thing that others have said. The DRZ400 is technologically superior to the XR400. I would guess the Z400 will have about 35hp. A stock DRZ400 has 39 and is detuned as well, that should tell you something about the capabilities the Z400 will have. I would like anyone that is skeptical to just visit www.FMFracing.com click on "products" then scroll to the bottom of the page and click on "dyno charts". Find the DRZ400 chart and the proof is in the pudding, 45 horse power with ONLY a FMF pipe, the rest of the bike is stock. 50hp shouldn't be very difficult. Just think about it, yellow will be sounding better all the time.

Old 10-23-2001, 02:03 AM
Pro Rider

i was just on thumper racing's website. they have kits for both the drz400 and the drz400s. that includes 436cc(gnc legal)& 470cc kits and other hop-ups as well(porting, etc). yoshimura plans to have a full exhaust and over-rev box for it soon too... how much of this is transferrable to the quad? i don't know, but the parts are out there to make some real ponies with this motor and more are on the way... i'm sure they'll make them for the quad too.

Old 10-23-2001, 06:23 PM
Pro Rider

The more I look at Suzuki's Z400, the more I think that it has the potential to be the best all around sport quad on the market. Don't get me wrong, I like my Raptor and 250R, but, this thing looks like it will dominate its class hands down. The only thing that held me back from getting a 400EX was its XR400-derived engine. I've owned three Hondas and I love 'em, but compared to the higher-tech engines of the Raptor and Z400, to make the 400EX competitive isn't worth it.

The 400EX excells at what it is - the current best all around sport quad (I think that my Raptor could handle better, I bought it for the engine). How can it be faulted? It handles good, great ergos, Honda reliability, and decent power. I've rode 400EX's and I like 'em alot.

Racers will love the Z400. Mark my words, this machine will dominate the GNC four-stroke Pro class in a couple years. The engine is full of potential. I have a buddy that had one of the first DRZ400's to hit the dealers a couple years ago. After he modded the engine it made too much power for the chassis! I threw a leg over it and man did it rip! Chassis-wise, even if the shocks aren't valved right from Suzuki, who races with stockers anyways?! Just throw on a set of TCS or Axis boingers and you are ready to race.

Thoughts from the aftermarket- aluminum sub-frames, Honda-style swing-arms, aluminum handlebars and exhaust cans.... that could shave another 10lbs off. Am I the only one that noticed that the dry weight of the Z400 is less than a Cannondale Cannibal? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Anyways, I think that this machine is a winner no matter what eccentricities the mags find out about it. This machine will be a good starting point for GNC or GNCC, at least better than the 400EX. For GNCC, this machine will be hands down better than the Raptor.

I'm not about to go trade-in my '01 Raptor on this quad, but I sure would like to add a Z400 to my fleet.

...now if Kawasaki would just release that damn KXF250R...

Old 10-23-2001, 07:06 PM
Trailblazer

Com'mon, does anybody think Suzuki will release something that will be subpar to an existing machine (400ex). I think not, Suzuki is taking aim at the entire class of new sport quads. It will be lighter than a Raptor (which I own), have reverse and will make more ponies than a 400 ex, am I jealous of it- hell no, as someone said in this post I bought it for the motor and stylish looks, and while it does seem as though Suzuki did borrow the looks, they know what will sell. The 400ex looks like an old 250R(still the best) and uses an old motor design. Enough said- peace!!! Good luck to all the soon-to-be owners of the hot new Suzuk.

Old 10-28-2001, 02:56 PM
Pro Rider

Thats funny i haven't had any of those problems. Only problem is that I have to wait for the lt's to catch up on trail rides.

Quick Reply: What is the new zuki gonna be competing with?