Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

What is the new zuki gonna be competing with?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2001, 03:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The motor is based off the DRZ400S which has a 36mm carb and has the reduced ratio (11.3:1), I am getting this straight off the Suzuki website. So for those of you who thought it was based on the regular DRZ400 would be wrong.

Old 10-29-2001, 12:21 AM
Pro Rider

rraptorr13, glad you're happy with your "trailbike".

Old 10-29-2001, 08:11 AM
Pro Rider

Sorry if your unhappy that my raptor out performs your old Lt. Its just the way it is. The raptor is going to run faster jump higher, and carve around the corners better thatn your lt consistantly. I also noticed that you had other machines listed in your profileare these what you ride when your SUPER LT needs to be fixed most of the time. All I ever hear from Owners of Lt250 and 500's is that they run great if you can keep them running which they never seem to do.

Old 10-29-2001, 02:03 PM
Pro Rider

rraptorr13, if you'd like to pick a fight, keep it up. personally i've only had to do one top end, one set of axle bearings, and a set of swingarm pivot bearings on my LT250r in two years of hard riding .... i'm about to do the second top end, only b/c my jetting was too lean and it had a light seize @ florence, OR. at least it hasn't blown a tranny, busted an upper A-arm, or bent an axle....(things the raptor was first known for)... and my LT is over 10 years old.

for the most part, the DRz-s motor is identical to the quad motor, personally i think a little less compression is a good thing. there have been isolated cases of galling on the intake valve seat(after ridden about 2000 miles), the fix is putting a lead additive in the fuel and slightly lower compression. a few other cases of the timing chain tensioners having problems... but other than that, nothing like what the DS650 or the raptor have had.
thumper racing already has hop-up kits for both the DRZ and the DRZ-s, the parts should transfer to the quad, and make it nothing but fast... producing in the range of 45-55 hp easily.

Old 10-29-2001, 02:47 PM
zoo
Pro Rider

It's appearent that he knows not what he speaks of. I have yet to see any Raptor that could out perform an LT like the way rraptorr13 says. I've had my Zilla since 95 and have only done one complete rebuild since then.

Then again he is comparing apples and oranges, two-stroke versus four-stroke. No matter how much money you put into a raptor to make it faster or handle better I can spend half as much and still be able to out perform a raptor.

Ask that same question again once your raptor is 14 years old.

Old 10-29-2001, 03:36 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know what your all going on about.
This is crazy.
I don't know what kawi has instore for us, but untill then I'll be waiting on the sazuki.
And as far as honda goes the ex400 is a thing of the past (were it came from)
As far as honda goes, well three wheelers and four wheelers, ya you cought every one with thier pants down.
I grew up in the seventies, even owned some honda MR's, but face it honda has been a joke more than not.
I started riding quads this august (to let you honda riders know, I sold my sweet CR-250) and when I went to the dealer and seen what engine honda had in it's EX's I laughed and laghed.
You talk about XR motors I only see what it realy is, the laghing stalk of the seventies, a polished XL
So let it be said, honda has always focust on suspention, chasis design, and comfort, BUTTTT has never,ever, in your wildes dreams been known for horse power.

I'm not a basher and would like to see any company lead us away from spending thousands on old motors that came out of thier ware houses.

You can bash the raptor for it's problems, but you can thank yamaha for leading the way to a future in the sport!!!!!!!

Old 10-29-2001, 07:22 PM
zoo
Pro Rider

I'm not bashing the raptor, I think it is a decent rig like so many others, and as far as Yamaha leading the way to a future in the sport, you might first want to thank Suzuki.

Old 10-29-2001, 08:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

01TRX300EX, Did you realize that Honda doesn't post the compression ratio for the 400ex and that the XR400's compression ratio is 9.3:1? The 400ex probably isn't even that high. So what are you trying to compare? 11.3:1 doesn't sound that bad now, huh?

I agree with Dual-Sporter.

Just because it has a smaller carb and lower compression doesn't mean much. Those are things that, if you even wanted to, you could easily change. It's "Based on" the DRZ motor. No matter how they tune it it's still the same motor. A motor that has better technology the 400ex.

As far as it being better then the raptor, time will have to tell. I will venture to say that it will be comparable at least.

Old 10-30-2001, 02:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well I guess I'll throw my 2 cents in....

First off the Suzuki will be top contender, I have seen the motors in action on the national circuit, you say well they are pro's there bikes are always faster.....well they still have to deal with the competition rules which will state a 440 limit on 4 strokes, so here we go. Out of 30 pro bike's riding at Loretta Lynn's there were only 1 or 2 Honda 400ex's, there were tons of Yamaha 426's and 2 Suzuki 400's. Doug gust being on one of them. I'm sorry but the Honda's cannot run with the Yamaha or Suzuki motor's. Now I'm a Honda rider (89 250R National Kit)

The Suzuki will be equals to the 426 motor, Race Ready, High compression, large intake and exuast ports, Water cooled and the whole works. This will not be in my opinion a sleeper. The Chassis is almost exact to the Honda except for the 10" of ground clearance. The Carb is probably a little small, but that can be changed. I think with a pipe, air filter and carb you will be looking at a contender. There will be no need to go into the motor, just like a Yamaha 426, now if you have never riden a 426, then you should keep your mouth shut, that is a serious motor without any hop-ups. You can put a pipe on it and RIP!!!

Anyway I'm glad to see another bike, it will make the market increasingly fun.

Old 10-30-2001, 03:34 PM
Pro Rider

if I recall correctly about compression ratios, any four stroke above 9.5:1 needs super unleaded pump gas(92 octane or better) anything above 10.5:1 needs at least an octane booster, and above 12:1 it should be running race gas, otherwise detonation begins to occur & cause bad things inside the motor. that's why i think lowering the compression ratio will be better in the long run for the motor, pump gas is used by most everyday riders. for those who want to build the motor to put out more, they should know & already accept that they'll need a better gas to make the motor live for any time.

Quick Reply: What is the new zuki gonna be competing with?