Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

2002 LT 50 Any one own one?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2001, 01:37 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been thinking about getting my kid a new quad for Christmas. I so far like the deals and the overal look of the LT 50. I can purchace one for $1767 out the door plus get $50 in gas and Suzuki is kicking in $150 free stuff. My kid is 3 1/2. She is tall for her age. She rides my 600# quad with me. The only thing she can not do is steer that big thing with me on it (290lbs + 600lbs) and I did not expect her to be able to.
What age groups are you putting on this thing? I know the "rules", but I think it should be up to the riders ablity. Besides, what are the rules for mini bikes and go carts? I started riding a mini bike on my own when I was 4. I think a quad with a throttle limiter and a tether would be safer than the mini bike that is in the garage waiting for her.
Opinions?
Ingoldx1

Old 10-25-2001, 01:06 AM
Trailblazer

I purchased a 2002 lt50 for my four year old this summer. He is now 4 years and 6months. At first I kept him flat level grass. No dips, hills etc. Even at that in the first week he rolled it by running over a five gallon plastic bucket in the yard. Full safety gear so no harm done. In six months I have graduated him to the local riding area. He is doing pretty well but I NEVER let him out of my site. Occassionally his maturity lets him try some things I don't want. We discuss and he keeps improving.

Review the LT50:
Top speed 13-15 mph, plenty fast enough for him
Pro:
Kid size controls and spring rates. Good for a 40-60lb kid.
Reliable

Con:
Single ratio transmission. It needs a CVT. This would allow him to slow down and craw over difficult terrain. As it is he must keep up speed to keep going in tough stuff its not as safe.

Chain always needs to adjusted.

Needs wider wheel track. Does not fit in the existing ruts. This causes him the most problems as he has one wheel up and one down. Why cann't they make a wide track kids atv?

He likes to ride it in the mud and water. Hey, hey is a kid. Its tends to get wet out easy in the water unless he has coated it with mud first.

Would I buy it again? Yes. I felt it was the best made but could use some improvements.

Later

Old 10-25-2001, 11:31 AM
Trailblazer

Ditto on all of the remarks by atvhog. There is really not any other choice for the smaller riders, all of the other 50's are too big. They are definately not speed demons or hill climb machines due to the centrifical clutch drive. They are a good, durable, fun, starter bike that should last a good long time without much fuss. My son was about 3 1/2 when he started on it and had no problems operating it. Unfortunately he is a gasser instead of a braker when he gets flustered so we have had a few wild rides, a few tears and everything is ok. Sounds like the price is right. If I remember right we paid $1,750 and got $150 in free accessories. Overall it is the best bike for the smaller learning rider. If you do decide to get one don't be alarmed if you get it home and it won't hardly move at all, just take out the exaust restrictor and adjust the throttle stop accordingly. Hey atvhog where do you ride? Looks like we are prety close.

Old 10-25-2001, 09:13 PM
Trailblazer

I ride mostly at the Perry lake atv area. Was their last weekend. Not going this weekend but probably next. Any other ideas for riding down your way.

Later

Old 10-26-2001, 10:53 AM
Trailblazer

I have been meaning to get up there and check it out but haven't yet. Deepwater and Columbia are reasonably close but not real kid friendly riding. We have a small track and trail at home but not too much of a big deal. give me a shout at Sportflr@aol.com. Hey ingold have you decided yet, for the price you stated I would make sure I kept in close contact with the dealer if you are seroius about getting one. If they were selling them around this area for that I doubt you could find one. I drove about 4 hours one way to get ours for a good price.

Old 10-26-2001, 08:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

We bought one this summer for our 4 1/2 year old daughter. She is fairly small for her age. She loves it. But as posted earlier, she also rolled it....no injuries though. Never, ever let them out of your site.
The machine works great, plenty fast enought for her now. My 74 pound nephew also rode it around good and hard for an hour or so. It was up to the task.
No complaints. Would definitely repurchase.

Your daughter is in for a great Christmas!!
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-02-2001, 07:59 AM
Trailblazer

THANKS for the replys. I am a Polaris owner, but I was unhappy with the size and weight of thier mini quads for my duaghter. She is the tallest in her preschool class and when I put her on one at a local dealer she could do all of the functions by herself.
I think I will have a "gasser" too, we have some talks when riding my quad about the sudden acceleration in tight areas of the woods. The dealer says he has many on hand, so I am not to worried.
Thanks.
Ingoldx1

Old 11-05-2001, 11:31 AM
Trailblazer

I also looked at the polaris 50, definately not an option for the smaller rider. They are just too big and heavy. Take a look at the throttle, I think they took it right off of their full size ATV line, way too big. I don't think a small hand could use it very well or very long comfortably. They might be ok for an older rider, but since most of the 50's are the same size as the 80's and 90's in the frame and seat to footpeg height you might as well go with the bigger bike. We went with a Suzuki 80 for our 5 year old because it actually fit better than most of the 50's.

Old 11-05-2001, 01:10 PM
Pro Rider

I have also been looking for a kid quad for my little ones. I have a girl (4.5 yrs.) and a boy (3.5 yrs.) so I have to buy two. I looked at the suzuki 50 and the at the e-ton 40. I can get 2 e-tons for the price of one suzuki, so my choice is obvious. The e-ton has most of the same features and is roughly the same size. It does have a taller seat height than the suzuki. For an out the door price of $995 each I cant beat it.

Old 11-05-2001, 01:25 PM
Trailblazer

I saw the E-Tons too, but they are really small. My little girl would be too big for it really quick. I have been researching the other models, but have yet to see a simular quad for a better deal.
Ingoldx1