Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Reed questions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2001, 05:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just took off my carb to do some cleaning last night and decided to look at the reeds it turns out they are worn out and I am wondering if this coulld be the problem I am having with hard starting. The reeds have never been changed. Thanks for any help.

Old 11-14-2001, 07:36 PM
Range Rover

what reeds are in the bike? stock ones? power reeds? I would invest in a spare set of standard suzuki reeds. Mine cost me $12 Australian so that probably $2 us haha. Im still running the standard reeds and they work perfect. If the reeds dont 'seat' properly or dont seal properly it can be alot harder to start. Hope that helps dude. just get some new ones and see if that helps [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-14-2001, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah they are stock and they dont seat good anymore so i will probably just buy some more stock suzook ones from my dealer but will probably have to wait forever to get them because they never have anything in stock ive been waiting for my shop manual for 5 days now and im getting impatient i hate not being able to ride its driving me crazy it must have been torture for you waiting to get you zilla back.

Old 11-14-2001, 10:53 PM
Range Rover

yep it killed me. i had this bright sparkling new chassis new tyres etc etc sitting in the shed and all i could do was watch my mates scream around on there bikes, and occasionally have a go on theres. hated it. But im really proud of the result now that its finished. im borrowing works camera hopefully tonite so ill have some pics next week or so.

mine had a set of Boyeson reeds in it when i bought it, and they had a slight burn mark on the edge of one. i replaced the reeds and i havent bothered to get a new set of boyesons just yet. ive been told, except for a little more throttle response, u wont notice a great deal.

Old 11-14-2001, 11:20 PM
Pro Rider

Well im glad to hear your back out riding with your buddies and hopefully ill be doing the same too thanks for your help.

Old 11-15-2001, 10:00 AM
Range Rover

BomBanshee

With no disrespect to Aussie, don't bother with the stock reeds. Go buy some boyesen reeds or even FMF reeds. The FMF reeds are a single petal design which they claim is better. I had them for a while and found no difference compared to the Boyesen reeds. I think that the Boyesen reeds I bought in the spring were $28.

Old 11-15-2001, 11:13 AM
zoo
Pro Rider

I have been running Boyesen reeds for quite a while now, and I did notice a little bit more throttle response, or actually quicker throttle response. That is one reason I changed from the stock units, the other reason, as you said, stock parts for the Zillas just take too long to get. So I would stick with an aftermarket reed. Supply and Demand!

Old 11-15-2001, 05:43 PM
Pro Rider

I ordered some Boyesen power reeds so now i must wait for them to get here i might just buy some stock ones so i can ride until they get here lol.

Old 11-15-2001, 07:34 PM
Range Rover

Well Id love to live in the US!!! the stock reeds for the zilla were $12 and the boyeson's start at $80. thats why i suggested the stockies, at least that way you know wat the problem is. Ive been told by shops and by people who have them, that the power reeds do nothing but improve throttle response. Some people say it also helps getting the bike to idle right. I have heard tho, that it you want an actuall power increase, that the V force delta reed and block are very good. I dont think ill waste my time with boyesons or fmf reeds. if i change from the stock ones itll definately be the v force. But hey if the boyeson's are so cheap over there, i agree with LT5001987.