Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Zilla MX quad?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2002, 04:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good question OregonMXracer,

FIrst of all, I think $3,500 is a fairly good price for an LRD Zuki, but only if it's in pretty good shape (Frame not bent, been really beat up with little or no maintainance)
The 500's are prone to problems which are numerous, so be careful to find one that isn't trashed. (IF you'd like more details.. just ask)
I recently found a pretty nice machine for $2,800, but it took some looking.

As far as an MX application... the 500 is a big machine, and it flies like a big machine (Lands like one too)
I have an '87 LT500, and an '86 250R... and have raced both MX.

My experience: the 500 will win the holeshot, and do fairly well in the corners (Depending on rider) but will lose the overall game when it comes to jumping, braking, and overall handling. The 500 is heavier and overall bigger so all of Newtons laws of Physics that come into play are amplified by the bigger machine.
Personally, I'm quite a bit faster (lap time) on my 250R..

Guess It all depends on what you like... I use my Honda to race, and my Zuki to play in the sand.

Just my $.02

Old 02-13-2002, 06:34 PM
Pro Rider

You took the words right out of my mouth Duneaddict. You will definitely turn faster lap times on a 250r and it won't wear you down like a quadzilla will. I've owned both and there is no comparison on an mx track. I could go much faster and longer on my R compared to my zilla. My zilla was awesome in the dunes though. Just my opinion.

Old 02-14-2002, 01:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

THE ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION IS YES A ZILLA MAKES AN EXCELLENT MX QUAD. IF YOU'RE GOING TO BE RACING OUTDOORS ON OPEN TRACKS.IF YOU RACE INDOORS ON TIGHT MX TRACKS YOU WILL NOT LIKE IT,IT'S A LITTLE HEAVY AND ITS HARD TO KEEP THE FRONT END ON THE GROUND.OUTDOORS THE QUAD IS AWESOME.THE REASON THE QUAD DOES SO WELL IS THE AWESOME TORQUE,YOU DON'T HAVE TO FAN THE CLUTCH ALL THE TIME. AND IF YOU EVER DO GET PASSED I IT WILL NEVER BE IN A STRAIGT AWAY BECAUSE NOTHING CAN TOUCH IT ON THE STRAIGHTS.I RACED A ZILLA FOR THREE YEARS AND ONLY DNF TWICE ONCE WRECKED AND LIKE TO BROKE AN ANKLE THE OTHER TIME TRYING TO RACE INDOORS,BROKE THE STEERING STEM.IF YOU DO RACE ONE TEAR IT DOWN EVERY WINTER REBUILD THE MOTOR,CHECK ALL THE BUSHINGS AND BEARINGS AND REMOVE THE GAS TANK AND CHECK THE FRAME,UNDER THE TANK IS THE ONLY PLACE I EVER BROKE MY FRAME.IF YOU'RE LT IS SET UP RIGHT YOU WILL NEVER LOSE A HOLESHOT UNLESS YOU JUST FEEL SORRY FOR THE REST OF THE GUY'S ON THE LINE. IF YOU DO BUY ONE I WILL TELL YOU HOW TO SET IT UP IF YOU NEED HELP BECAUSE I HAVE YEARS OF PRACTICE.