Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Thinking of buying an Eiger...Latest Opinions? Auto or Gearshift? etc?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2002, 02:21 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am buying my first ATV this month. I am all but sold on the Eiger 400. Now I need to decide if I need 4wd and an automatic, which I had decided on initially. Reading some of the posts leads me to wonder if I need them or not. What are the benefits of automatic vs gearshift and vice versa? Does the auto rob engine power. I will mostly be using this as a toy and for towing trailers around our 2 acre yard and to haul a fishing shanty onto the lakes in the winter etc. Is the seat big enough for 2 small people (my wife and I are both 5'8" tall, I go 155 she is 120)? What is the towing capacity and rack capacity? Are owners relatively pleased with this machine now that they have some hours on them. What other new options should I consider instead of an Eiger? Thanks, I know this is long but I just found this site and am buying soon!!!!!!!

Old 03-15-2002, 12:58 PM
Trailblazer

I had the 2001 LTF300F and just traded it in for the Eiger 400, manual. I could have got the auto shift but as I need to manuever in sand and snow I went with the manual which gives more control. It is plenty big enough for 2 to ride. As far as towing ice shanty's and trailers around you should have no problems, my LTF did that and more. I get mine delivered today and will be breaking it in this weekend so I will let you know more in a couple of days. Being your first ATV be patient and make sure you are getting exactly what you want, or think you want, for the first go around. For the price you can not beat the Eiger.

Old 03-15-2002, 01:22 PM
Trailblazer

How vital is 4WD? I would never buy a 2wd truck because in snow mud etc I have seen 2WD trucks get stuck easily while I can run around with my Rodeo on street tires in 4wd through some pretty nasty stuff...

Old 03-15-2002, 03:53 PM
Trailblazer

The nice thing about the Eiger is that on the 4X4 you have the option of using 2wd or 4wd by flipping a switch. If your towing trailers around the farm, use the 2wd. If your going on light trails I would use the 2wd. If you hit muddy, sandy or heavy snow terrain then flip the switch to 4wd. The benefits of this is that you will be saving gas. I would not own a 2x4 here because of our mostly rough and moist terrain. Both the manual and the auto have that option with the 4x4. Another benefit is the 4 gallon gas tank. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-18-2002, 01:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

Just put the first 20 miles on my Eiger auto 4X4. As Im just breaking it in, I have the throttle limiter adjusted to 1/2. I purchased the automatic transmission primarily for my wife and son's benefit. Believe me, if you're worried about power loss...don't. There's more than enough power in this machine to get you werever you want to go. The front rack is rated at about 65 lbs, and the rear around 135 lbs. The towing capacity is rated at or about 1000 lbs. The seat will definaately hold the both of you confortably. I'v had this thing in sand, dirt and wet grasslands and have yet to need the four wheel drive, but IMHO I'd rather be safe than sorry. Whatever options you choose I'm sure you'll enjoy the Eiger! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 03-19-2002, 07:32 PM
Trailblazer

I got my Eiger Sun. n today is Mon. I put 103 miles on it. You've got to understand I live in Alaska. In town we have 1-2ft of snow. It was anywhere from 10-35ft where I was riding. lol no shi_ I didn't need low at all. It was all 4x4 high in 3rd to 5th gear. I got some realy nice pics. I will have them on my website in a few days. Check them out They are awesome If you are thinking about an Eiger the machine is great. I do not believe in beating on a new machine either!! It is truly a tank I didn't think it would handle as well as it did. I love it all most as much as my wife! I hope she does not read this

2002 EIGER
2001 K Q

Old 03-20-2002, 09:07 AM
Trailblazer

I picked my 4X4 Auto up Monday night and finally get to ride it tonight! I am psyched. My buddy is picking his up tomorrow night...I am guessing this is turning out to be a pretty good seller for Suzuki!

Old 03-21-2002, 08:24 AM
Trailblazer

I have looked at them as well and you can't beat the price. How do you guys like the automatic. I have never owned one and just curious as to the power. Like some of the others, I will often have my wife or my dad on when we hunt.

Old 03-21-2002, 03:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Never had an auto untill I bought the Eiger. While I am still in the process of breaking it in, the Eiger proves to transfer a lot of power to the wheels at any rpm. Which convinces me the Eiger posseses wide torque band. I initially made the decision to go with an auto because my wife wanted to use the machine. I didn't want her distracted by worrying about what gear she was in, etc. Needless to say I'm not sorry about my decision. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-23-2002, 10:07 PM
Trailblazer

I was just about ready to buy a new Vinson, but I keep reading about shifter problems. I may get an Eiger instead-all I read are good things about them. Do you guys really enjoy them, and would two be able to ride with ne problem? Next is whether to get an auto or manual?
ScottOne

--------------------

1985 Honda fourtrax(sold)